• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing ECS lga775 board with DDR1 ram, how can I keep the drive from corrupting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
I have an ECS P4M800Pro-M that I am running with a Pentium D 930. The motherboard was free...so that's why I'm running with an ECS :p

I'm running this thing currently at 3.33ghz (222x15) with a set of PC3200 DDR1 value ram. I want to overclock this cheapo motherboard to the brink of death but (naturally) the overclocking options are limited. When I go above 222mhz it starts having trouble with the hard drive. During POST it will misread the drive ID as random alphanumeric characters, or if POST completes it will give me an error at boot saying NTLDR can't be found. It has already hosed my drive once (requiring a format and reinstall) :D

How can I fix this corruption problem? I believe this chip should at least be capable of 3.6ghz even if the board is not. I may try seeing if a SATA-to-IDE converter helps, maybe the southbridge SATA is having issues at higher bus speeds?

You may need to add some chipset voltage. I think that your mobo actually has a PCI lock but its just hard to get high FSB speeds on ECS boards.

I tried increasing all of the voltages, ECS doesn't let you take them very far haha. I think +0.03 is the most I can up it, woohoo! I wonder if I can get it to boot to the live ubuntu CD and fold at some faster overclocks if I disconnect the hard drive? Things to try tonight...

Back