• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B Deluxe: 550FSB no mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
Actually, it did 550FSB pretty much out of the box...I got it yesterday and all I did was flash to the 507 BIOS (came with 204 installed).

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=114490

550fsb.png

That was with the stock NB cooler and the "cover" still on it. I laid an 80mm fan over the mem/NB to help since the proc was WC'ed. I am not sure if the mem (2GB Corsair 6400C3) or the board was holding me up from going any further, but it didn't even want to do 555FSB...I'll work on it some more :) Oh, mem timing was left on BySPD for that and 2.3Vddr. BIOS goes up to 2.45V, but the board didn't seem happy with it selected.

Two things to consider: this board has Vc undervolt and a droop on top of that. 1.325Vc set in BIOS = 1.28-1.29Vc actual (measured) and on load drops to 1.25-1.26Vc actual (measured). The undervolt gets larger as Vc settings increase and just for a quick test, 1.700Vc set in BIOS measured 1.60-1.61V actual...no idea how much further it drops under load :)

The other thing is that this board has no software to OC from the desktop, so there's no "sneaking in" a few more FSB by clocking that way...all clocks must be bootable from BIOS as of right now.

6x = 550FSB max so far
8x = 520FSB max so far
9x = 455FSB max so far

All except 6x are likely Vc/vdroop limited and I am only running 1.55V on the NB (BIOS max is 1.65V, but it doesn't seem to like it). I have an HR-05 NB cooler that I am going to stick on it and I'd like to get the Vc and Vdroop mods done soon.

4160_520fsb.png

Me thinks this board with the right Vc mods + my SS unit = 9x 500+FSB no problem...or at least I hope so ;) Yes, this is a silly clocking E6600 (same one I've always had) :D

Because someone will ask, there seems to be a problem with Otheros on this board (not sure if it's BIOS or what), but it gets hosed pretty much with anything over 425FSB regardless of multiplier (ie. definitely not the proc or the mem). The clock speed it reads is all messed up and it stops immediately. I vaguely remember reading somewhere there was a "known problem" with it due to a BIOS update on these boards, but I'll need to dig around some more on that issue :shrug:

Nice result Ross ! :thup:

Which mobo version you got there ? 1.03G ?

Few findings that I got on mine :

- NB cooler goop sux as usual, even with the Asus "cover" in place, after AS work and the end of the pipe part on Mosfets, the MB temp (Asus Probe reading) dropped down 7C !!

- VC droop can be further minimize by blowing with fan at those mosfets & black inductors that without heat sink. Those are really hot, almost too hot to touch by finger, those pink dots at the pic.

Wondering why they don't put a cheap heat sink on them ! :mad:

HotMosfetsandCoils.png

Last edited:
Happy to see these results, I have one on its way. Going to See what a E6600 on phase + P5B-Deluxe can do.

Great combo Ross :D
Phase results is going to be cool :cool:

*any chance there might be a retail CPU in the future?*

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Nice Ross :). Makes me jealous to see 550FSB when my P5W-DH is holding me @ 414FSB LOL.

POS MB! $150.00 DS3 clocks better.

Nice work Ross. Must get insane numbers in synthetic benchmarks. 2000MHz FSB!!!

Good choice. I'm glad to see anything that's getting you motivated for some higher ocing.
LOL, yeah, all kinds of C2Ds and mobos and I've been out of action :D

Nice result Ross ! Which mobo version you got there ? 1.03G ?
Thanks Bing, and thanks for the info. I just got it yesterday and didn't even fire it up until about 11pm, so I am still playing, but very impressed with it so far. Yes, it's a 1.03G. Hey, if you notice in pics of it in the manual, it shows a sink on those unsinked FETs ;)

Makes me jealous to see 550FSB when my P5W-DH is holding me @ 414FSB LOL.
I don't know why I am on a mission for FSB all of a sudden, but it's certainly not going to be at 550FSB for daily, so don't be jealous :) If I had a 6300 and that was the only way to get CPU clocks, maybe it would be a different story, but I am just playing around. P5W DH is a way solid board.

*any chance there might be a retail CPU in the future?*
Ya never know green, but I've yet to see anything other than X6800 even come close to this one (and not even all of them do), so I doubt it :D

So I installed the HR-05 NB sink (no FETs have any sinks now) and fiddled a bit more in BIOS:

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=114657

559fsb.png

That 559FSB should be good for the #2 spot on the validation list for highest FSB on an Intel whenever they get around to updating it. Not bad for a totally unmodded board :D The #1 spot (567FSB) might take some work, but maybe not much...unless that's a really hard 8FSB to get :shrug:

Slap a pot to the NB and go for the 1st to hit 600. :p That should keep you occupied for a bit.

More than anything though I'd love to see that 6600 on the SS. I see it'll be just as painful as the P5W to insulate though. :-/

IMHO this board is the top pick for anyone looking at an Allendale CPU. Insane FSB but apparantly none of the irritation of the Gigabytes.

I already have one made for the NB from the P5WD2, but I think I need to get some mods done first...at least Vmch. 600FSB might be a pipe dream, but 575 is a nice round number. I've been insulating what is essentially the same damn socket/cap arrangement on ASUS boards for 2-3 years, it's no biggie, just takes a bit of time. Maybe I'll get the insulation done this week and put the SS on it this weekend...

EDIT:
fsb_record.png

Last edited:
That almost makes me want to buy a P5B however....I bet the lack of increasing the multplier on the 6800 up would allow the p5W dh to actually clock better with that CPU.

Stilletto said:
That almost makes me want to buy a P5B however....I bet the lack of increasing the multplier on the 6800 up would allow the p5W dh to actually clock better with that CPU.

ES's that were not X6800's were not unlocked this go round.

Why doesn't the P5B increase the multi? It's probably just a BIOS thing (older BIOSes didn't allow any multi selection), but everything from 6x-9x is selectable for me on 507. P5W DH would probably still be a better board for the X6800 in either case :) I really wouldn't mind keeping it 425-450FSB with a bigger multi, assuming they ever get all the mem dividers working.

Speaking of FSB, here's another WR for OCF :D At least I am pretty sure it is and holds the #1 spots on CPU-Z Records, at least for today ;)

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=114750

570fsb.png

Still no mods to the board, I just moved the vid card to the 2nd PCIe slot. Probably the easiest WR I ever got, I didn't even have to bust out the soldering iron, LOL. Maybe 600FSB would be possible with mods, DI and some DDR2 that I've yet to see personally (DDR2-1200). If there were some underclock mem ratios, it might be a lot easier. I am surprised how well the 6400C3s are doing even with CL4 and nothing except BIOS voltage...this isn't just clock on the desktop and hit F7 before it crashes...these clocks need to hard boot from BIOS :eek:

Gawd, everything you touch is golden. Congrats. :D The 6400's should be capable of 1200, if not cas 4, cas 5 should do the trick.

If you end up trumping my X6800, I'm going to be a lil frustrated to say the least. :p

I'm SURE you can do 600 now. Straight boot from BIOS, 2 gigs, cas 4, extremely impressive all around. :thup:

Ross said:
Maybe 600FSB would be possible with mods, DI and some DDR2 that I've yet to see personally (DDR2-1200). If there were some underclock mem ratios, it might be a lot easier. I am surprised how well the 6400C3s are doing even with CL4 and nothing except BIOS voltage...this isn't just clock on the desktop and hit F7 before it crashes...these clocks need to hard boot from BIOS :eek:

well OCZ just came out with some DDR2-1100, i wonder how well it oc's though, it might be up your alley :D

good job on the WR, why must everyone taunt me with conroe.....im waiting for 45nm, i must remember that

Christ almighty!

I tell ya... you miss ten days you miss a lot... I could've gotten a P5B Deluxe instead of a DS3 if I knew all THIS was going to going to go down... (then again that only means I would have blown up a more expensive board...)

I'm still confused by the friggin' Asrock memory settings.

I know I should have CAS 5, 5-5-5-12, but my memory is currently defaulting to 5-5-5-15, and I have no idea which 12 to change to a 15. (Asrock went and renamed everything).

But 570 with no mods... congrats. Can't wait to get my DS3 back... so I can sell it!

Back