• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2 Premium high temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stdu007

I just built a new system for one of my friend ... here come the set up for this rig

asus p5wd2-premium
intel pentium d 930
mushkin xp5300 2 gigs dual kit
seagate 7200.07 120 gigs sata hard drive
ocz modstream psu 450 watts
ati x700 pro 256 megs
2 dvd-rw

i got a zalman cnps 7700 alcu to cool the cpu and a zalman vf 700 cu for the video card

2x80mm front intake
1x80mm rear exhaust
1x80mm side panel intake

so the mobo temps is to 28 degre c :santa: and for the cpu a got a read at 55 degre c:mad:
so what the problem ... i use as5 ... so some one have an idea ... lmk

Last edited:
Do i have to supposed the temps was ok ... at 55 degres ... in my rig i got a pentium d 920 how runnig at 3.8 and my cpu temps is 32 degres ... so let me know ... and thank's for the help ...

the asus p5wd2 series tends to overestimate cpu temps

my 930 is running at full load at 68° when on my p5p800se it used to run at 56°

Is your idle temp 55C ... if so that seems too high ... unless you have bumped VC a lot or have a high fsb.

Is the zalman seated properly? and check how the as5 spread looks when you pull it off.
Some of my 930's don't have very flat IHS's so i have needed to use more as5 than normal with some of them.

Might also try swapping with a known good hsf, even stock to to be sure the new zalman is ok ... ie heatpipes work ok.

yes 55 is idle temps ... i try both cooler and the result was the same
stock cooler and zalman idle temps is 55 ... the as5 was spread ok under the cooler to ... do you think i will need to lapped the cpu !!! i hope not ... i will try to put a little bit more of as5 ... for the vcoor and fsb i'm at stock set up !!!
thanl's for your help ... :bang head

Is this in the BIOS or software that says it's 55C?

Remember, it's an Asus board.

They have ALWAYS read high temps. 5-8C or more.

I take the temps with everest ... so into the bios it is a little bit less from 2 to 4 degres ...

so 52 into the bios - 8 degres (asus board :drool: ) = 44 ... now it seam more normal :confused: !!!

:beer:

the asus mb monitoring software (can't remember what its called), detects my cpu idle at 45, load - not too sure. Dont think I have any windows apps that can load the cpu 100% for a while. Haven't seen it go over 57C though.

BTW I have the same mobo, proc (I think), and my cooler is a zalman9500.

2 120mm out, 2 120mm in. I have 1 120mm in lined up with the zalman lined up with 1 120mm out.

BTW, I think 55C was my idle with the POS stock cooler.

What rpm are you running the fan at?

Compatibility: Intel socket478 Pentium 4 / Celeron; AMD socket462 CPU, AMD socket754 Athlon 64, socket939/940 Athlon 64(FX), socket940 Athlon 64 FX / Opteron (Single / Dual)

The 7700 is not really listed as compatible with the lga775, which (I believe) generates A LOT more heat than the socket 478.

Seeing as how the 9500 is the newer zalman, it makes sense that the older one won't be able to cool as well. my .02

Last edited:
Hello
I recently set a PD 930 on a P5WD2 P and I owned one for ages too. The temps I got on the 930 were not that bad but could of been better. Found out after doing a flatness test on the CPU it was a bit concave and the heatsink only had proper contact around the edges of the CPU. Maybe you PD 930 has the same problem.

in my computer i run a pentiun d 920 (stock 2.8) @ 3.9 with the same cooler and i got a 22 degres celcius temps (idle) and 28 (load) ... ... so i think this cooler make a wonderfull job ... and they throw some cooled air on the component arround the cpu ... so that's the reason i prefer this cooler instead of the 9500 ...

posrx7 said:
the asus mb monitoring software (can't remember what its called), detects my cpu idle at 45, load - not too sure. Dont think I have any windows apps that can load the cpu 100% for a while. Haven't seen it go over 57C though.

BTW I have the same mobo, proc (I think), and my cooler is a zalman9500.

2 120mm out, 2 120mm in. I have 1 120mm in lined up with the zalman lined up with 1 120mm out.

BTW, I think 55C was my idle with the POS stock cooler.

What rpm are you running the fan at?

The 7700 is not really listed as compatible with the lga775, which (I believe) generates A LOT more heat than the socket 478.

Seeing as how the 9500 is the newer zalman, it makes sense that the older one won't be able to cool as well. my .02

Back