• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5W oc help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Roboto

ok, i'm sorry to have to start another P5W thread, but I need some help here, this is my first real OC. I just put together the rig in my sig, and my ram isn't running at the right speeds or timings. I set it to manual in the bios and seledted ddr 800, bit it's only running at 350 mhz, 5-5-6-18 (should be 400, 4-4-4-12). I also can't seem to find where to manualy set the timings.

My second question. When I oc my cpu, it automatically is overclcoking my ram. I can't find a setting to lock the ram frequency into 400 mhz (once i actually get it to run at 400 anywyas.

Lastly, my cpu voltage is set on auto. Does this mean it's kicking up the voltage when i'm ocing? I want to keep this on stock volts. To do this, what do i need to do, find out what the stock volts are, and then select them in the bios?

Thanks alot for your help!

Alright to change your ram timings you have to go to chipset screen in bios and change the timings from SPD to manual. When overclocking the cpu the memory frequency will coincide with the fsb, it's up to you to find a divider that will work. I think spec voltage is 1.3xx? It's rated on intels website. I'm unaware of your cooling method but the general consensus is up to 1.5V is safe for 24/7 usage depending on your temps.

thanks for the reply. So there's no way of setting the ram freq and locking it?

so what you're saying is ill have to lower the ram freq, then oc the cpu so it doesnt get too high?

I'm using a thermalright ultra 120, and my temps have yet to get over 36C full load.

mr. roboto said:
thanks for the reply. So there's no way of setting the ram freq and locking it?

so what you're saying is ill have to lower the ram freq, then oc the cpu so it doesnt get too high?

I'm using a thermalright ultra 120, and my temps have yet to get over 36C full load.

Absolutely right... ram speed is governed by the fsb setting... as you raise or lower the fsb, the ram follows.

That's one thing I actually do not like...I would love to be able to specify a certain ram freq and have it stay at that, but I do not believe that this is possible on any MB due to the Ratio (x:x).

Yeah, locking the ram frequency would be pretty helpful, but i guess thats what people pay extra hundreds for for cpu's with unlocked multipliers.

I was only able to get to 3ghz on stock volts, does this sound right? What volts are you guys pumping into these things to get stable 3.2~3.4 overclocks?

Back