• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatpipes on Asus P5W dh

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

Ok i was thinking in most normal ATX computer cases the left side of the case opens (if you were viewing computer from the front) to reveal the mother board and what not... now on a Lian Li V series (my V2000b Plus 2 is comming tommorrow :D) it flips the board upside down so the normal top of the mother board is facing down twords the floor... will this have a huge affect on the cooling of the chipset and what not... if i had to say i dont think it would because i think the heat will overcome the gravity easy cus gravity isnt nearly as strong as the convection that occures in the heat pipes....

Any ways thanks...

I cant wait for this system

Lian Li V2000B plus 2 - comming tommorrow
E6600 - comming 9/1/06
Thermal Right ultra 120 - already have
Asus P5W DH - shipping tommorrow
Gskill DDR2 6400 HZ (with new d9 chips) - already have
2 250gb Seagates that will be on matrix raid :) - already have
Seasonic S12-600 - already have
Evga 7900gt KO 512mb!!!! comming 9/1/06

From what I have gathered reading the forums, the heatpipes on the DH will not work in the V2000. A couple people sold their P5W DH because of this.

Regardless of orientation that you put it in, get 40x40mm fan and put it on the northbridge, that thing gets hot. That way heat pipe positioning will not have effect.

ahhh i am getting conflicting data... the first one i dont like the second one i do lol

i dont see how heatpipe orientation would have an affect considering heatpipe HS's like the SI-120 SI-128 and what not work perfectly fine in any position.

well do this then.... take the whole HP/HS off the board.
use these on the pwm's
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/mipllch.html
then use this on the northbridge
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thhrchco.html
might cost you more but keeping the NB cooler will help with oc and stability.

nd4spdbh2 said:
ahhh i am getting conflicting data... the first one i dont like the second one i do lol

i dont see how heatpipe orientation would have an affect considering heatpipe HS's like the SI-120 SI-128 and what not work perfectly fine in any position.
as for this, the cheap heapipes just have a liquid inside them. for them to work correctly the liquid needs to be over/on the hottest heatsource. IE the NB. the more costly heatpipes have wicks in them to assure cooling no matter if they are inverted or not.

Evilsizer said:
well do this then.... take the whole HP/HS off the board.
use these on the pwm's
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/mipllch.html
then use this on the northbridge
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thhrchco.html
might cost you more but keeping the NB cooler will help with oc and stability.

as for this, the cheap heapipes just have a liquid inside them. for them to work correctly the liquid needs to be over/on the hottest heatsource. IE the NB. the more costly heatpipes have wicks in them to assure cooling no matter if they are inverted or not.

ahhh i c.... good idea... ill have 2 tower hs's if i use that HR-05 lol... HR05 + Ultra 120 + VF900-CU = coooolllll air system! Problem is the Asus P5W dh uses loops to hold the NB hs on... not holes in the mobo.

nd4spdbh2 said:
Problem is the Asus P5W dh uses loops to hold the NB hs on... not holes in the mobo.
shouldnt be a problem if you check thermalrights sight it has mounting for both holes and loops.

wun911 said:
just water cool your NB and SB....
err umm watercool the SB, i havent see a block for that. Wc for the SB is way overkill when a hr-01 can do the job.

i have first hand expirience, i have the same case / board combo.

I'm using the stock NB heatsink, put AS5 under it and have a fan blowing on it and its working fine. Idealy the heatsink should be oriented correctly but the fan makes it work fine.

I'm probably going to get a new NB cooler anyway though to cool the VB down better, and then chip the mosfets.

I had the same problem when looking for a new board I was looking at the abit Aw8 and I emailed abit and they told me it would not work.

the HR-05 has mounts for loops!!!!!! sweet.... and even sweeter on the replies about the mobo working fine upside down...

Also i think water cooling is a waste of time/money/and well ur system.... i mean you have 1 leak which can happen ANY time ur skrewed... not to say a fan on a aircooled hs wouldnt die but the likely hood of a leak on a wc setup is more than that of a good fan dieing... also the whole water + electronic equipment doesnt tickle my fancy... yes you may get better temps but high end air cooling does just fine...

LOL water cooling a SB chip thats like sticking a dual carb supercharger setup on a Honda Xr50 motor (well not really because i have seen that setup b4 on a bored out xr50... 110cc 4speed man with dual cab and super... AMAZING)

lets c wc on a sb chip... more like trying to freeze ice more with dry ice lol

Back