• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are newer Windows computers so slow in hibernation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mastiff

I have been using XP for several years (as most of you, I guess), and I have a lot of other computers in the house running XP. But I have noticed that the last two or three years computers seems to be slower hibernating and resuming than earlier computers. My old AMD XP2000 hibernates in 6 seconds and resumes in less than 20. But none of the newer PC's I have in the house can manage that feat. My Carputer is a lightning fast Aopen i975X-YDG with both IDE and S-ATA drives, and it varies between 16/45 (IDE) and 12/35 (S-ATA). More than twice the time! It really shouldn't happen in my opinion. And no, this isn't a memory issue. I have tried with only 512 meg RAM (I normally use 1024), the same as most of the older PC's, and it didn't change a thing. Does anybody have an ida why this can be?

I'd say the older drive isn't hybernating itself, or else is able to spin up faster than the new drives. Most of the time is waiting for the drive to finish.

Last edited:
Nope, it's not the drives. I'm using the exact same hard disks I used in the previous version of this computer. Only mobo, CPU, memory and graphics cards are changed.

Perhaps service packs &/or windows updates have lengthened the hibernation time? Mine hibernates quickly considering it has 4x512MB as do the two new s754 rigs I built for clients w/ 512MB.

Sorry, not that either. I tried installing XP without SP's, and that didn't change anything. Anyway, I think I'll just have to use suspend more and hibernation less when I know I will fire the thing up again in a few hours. Because last time I checked, they were all out of patience at my local shop... ;)

No, no. I'm not talking about older Windows versions, just older computer hardware. Of course ME takes less to shut down, or do anything with, but that's because it's basically a primitive piece of... ;)

Anything hibernation or sleep state has been slow for MS OS's even your AXP's times are too slow IMHO. Microsoft hasn't been able to code an effecent memory manager to save its life. That said, the AXP was the only chip that was desinged for the XP operating system (maybe it was the other way around) who knows, If you REALLY want an effecent OS and your not gaming on the machine, consider linux or freebsd.

Your new manchine just MAYBE has drivers and other software that is needed to run the newer hardware that take up space in memory that the old machines didn't have.

btw.. this is a software question.. the MS OS section maybe best for responces, you could ask a mod thats online to move it for you :)

Back