• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD drive won't work in XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
...ever notice almost ALL the messages in this thread are about problems with the DS3? :)

Well I've read all the other posts and I haven't found a problem similar to mine.

I have a DVD drive connected to an IDE to SATA converter. It works just fine in Windows 2003 Server, but in Windows XP it doesn't work at all. The drive is recognized but it will not spin.

Since it works in 2003 I don't think it's a bios thing... unless the bios specifically doesn't work with XP and XP only.

Weirdness.

HELP!

Still no word on this?

I just got my second HD back from RMA at Maxtor. So now I MUST find a way to get windows XP to recognize the CD-Rom drive on the SATA port.

Any suggestions?

is it a problem when you try to install xp or after its installed? Which sata port is it plugged into?

Yah a little more information might help... does it register the same running it just on IDE?

If it installs XP but doesnt run afterwards... Drivers?

Akira283-IGN said:
Try connecting the SATA cable to the purple slots instead of the orange.

Tried it. Didn't work. Tried it with the Gigabyte drivers... Tried it without the gigabyte drivers... oddly enough it worked for a little while in Safe Mode. It's clearly some type of driver thing because it works perfectly fine in 2003 Server. But I don't know which drivers to use. I've already written to Gigabyte...

Neur0mancer Yah a little more information might help... does it register the same running it just on IDE?

If it installs XP but doesnt run afterwards... Drivers?

I didn't use it to install XP. XP was already installed. I just connected my IDE to SATA connector and plugged it in. XP sees the drive, but when I put a disc in the drive won't spin. It displays the name of the drive correctly, but it won't work.

Today 02:44 AM
custom90gt is it a problem when you try to install xp or after its installed? Which sata port is it plugged into?

After XP is already installed. I've tried ALL the SATA ports. No dice. Of course some of those ports are Master and some are Slave. Since the drive is setup as master it won't work on a slave channel anyway, not even on 2003 server, but it works fine on 2003 server on any of the Master SATA ports.

sorry I missed your reply. Did you ever find out what was wrong? If not, does the bios show the drive (I am assuming it does). What happens if you plug the drive in to the IDE port?

custom90gt said:
sorry I missed your reply. Did you ever find out what was wrong? If not, does the bios show the drive (I am assuming it does). What happens if you plug the drive in to the IDE port?

Problem solved. It was CloneCD. Uninstalled CloneCD. Now it works.

custom90gt said:
glad you figured it out, i would have never guessed that...

Neither would I. :)

It wasn't a guess really. First I went through the registry (HKLM--->SYSTEM--->CurrentControlSet) and deleted every instance of SATA drivers. Then I ran ForceASPI to get rid of the ASPI driver. Then I just started getting rid of anything that looked like it might be even REMOTELY related to the DVD drive. And that's how I stumbled upon the CloneCD Elby drivers. Deleted them from the registry and upon my next boot the drive wasn't even showing up in windows. Reinstalled them and the drive was back up and not working correctly. Uninstalled them and the drive worked fine.

Process of elimination.

Back