• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think just fried my P5B-D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

naturm

I was OCing a 6400 with my P5B DLX and suddenly it just shut down in the middle of memtest and it started smelling burnt :( I couldn't really locate the source of the smell. Now when I turn on the power the fans start spinning for about 5 secs, then it shuts off and turns on again (like the CPR thing only longer) and then nothing. It's just like a failed OC with no picture and ignoring the Q-fan settings so fans are at full speed. Clearing cmos didn't help so i guess it's permanently damaged :(

As for the reason I suspect the mobo most is that I had just raised the volts to 1.65v on mch and 1.7v on southbridge (thought I might try it when seeing this http://forum.coolaler.com/showthread.php?t=134460). It may have to do with the Antec NeoHE 430W too since I don't find any signs of it being a newer revision.

So what do you guys think? Should I try RMAing the board (which requires me to put on the stupid thing on the mch heatsink again and it looks kinda bent :p)?

i think you voided your warrenty, thus cant RMA it
i could be wrong tho, it might be only if you OC your cpu and fry it, then you cant rma that

but i would try taking everything apart, putting it back together and seeing if it works then

First off, maybe the smell is coming from your PSU. Try out an old PSU and see if she boots up. If the board doesnt boot up, simply send it back for an RMA if this is morally acceptable. I would call them up and be completely honest with them. They usually RMA upon honesty overclocking requests.

Thanks for the input. I wasn't really in the room when it died but I saw the monitor go blank and the fans had apparently carried out the burnt smell from the chassis when I came in. With an old PSU there is no automatic shutdown, it just stays on with the HDD LED lit (it doesn't stay lit with the antec). The different reaction seems strange to me but since neither work and I barely have money to buy a new mobo I guess I'll give my reseller a call tomorrow...

Back