• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did your p5w dh come with a NB fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OniKoroshi

I remember in a review I read the p5w dh came with a northbridge fan for WC setups but looking at asus's site it specifically mentions it for the p5b deluxe but not the p5w dh.

Mine came with a fan (P5WDH) but it is not a northbridge fan, it is meant to clip onto the heatsinks over the fets (at least I think)

well, clipping it onto the fets will eventually cool the northbridge as it is connected by a heat pipe. It just won't cool as well as a designated fan directly on the northbridge.

I never really finished my post. I dont know how exactly the fan is suppossed to help in WC setups. Maybe they assume you will oc and raise the NB temp. But yeah.

Merlin7777 said:
well, clipping it onto the fets will eventually cool the northbridge as it is connected by a heat pipe. It just won't cool as well as a designated fan directly on the northbridge.

Actually, if the heat pipe works like it's supposed to, it will work better than a fan directly on the NB. The whole point is increasing the surface area. It's easier to increase the surface area if you have more space to work with, and there isn't that much space around the NB.

In WC setups there is no draft from the HSF to cool off the surrounding area, that is why they send the cage fan for WC setups.

Back