• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking or SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes but the second pci-e slot on the p5b-d isn't full speed. Is that the chipset or asus doing that? But anyway, how much of a difference would that make anyway? I'm so close to just buying a p5b-d now, but I want to wait and see the new nvidia 590 chipset boards.. AGH.

s00pcan said:
Yes but the second pci-e slot on the p5b-d isn't full speed. Is that the chipset or asus doing that? But anyway, how much of a difference would that make anyway? I'm so close to just buying a p5b-d now, but I want to wait and see the new nvidia 590 chipset boards.. AGH.
well in your first post you never said what board. no using a 4x slot will not be worth using sli or cf for that matter when a single faster card would be better. whats wrong with the p5w dh as at newegg it is only $20 more and clocks about the same. not sure what your expecting to get ocing wise from the mobo.

the 965 is mainstream chipset its not meant as a highend like the 975. which is why it is not labled as cf, where as the 975 boards are CF ready. why the 590 is not ocing at all, your better off with a 975x board and waiting abit for NV to release drivers that allow sli on the 975 or just use the modded drivers i linked till that time. no need wasting money on a chipset that wont oc that well with intel cpu's.

p5w dh has two full speed pci-e slots? I'm sold. Also, in my first post I was just trying to start a discussion since that seems to be the trend with the current motherboard selection.

s00pcan said:
p5w dh has two full speed pci-e slots? I'm sold. Also, in my first post I was just trying to start a discussion since that seems to be the trend with the current motherboard selection.
what do you mean by full speed?
while each connector is a 16x slot when used in sli or cf each one is set to run at 8x. Well even if the mobo had each slot able to do 16x there wouldnt be much benefit from it. The only reason NV has true 16x slot on the new 590 is so that they could lose the dongle cable. Not much of difference it doing to be seen as far as i can tell from my reading on the subject about the nv590 mobo's.

s00pcan said:
Thanks for clarifying that for me.
well my misstake the NV uses a "sli bridge" while ati uses a "dongle". still what i said applies.

Back