• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What should I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h4l

Hi,

I have a p4 2.8 (400mhz) running at 3.0 on motherboard that only supports PC133 (1.25G of Ram) and AGP 4x.

I have an oppotunity to upgrade to a motherboard that supports supports DDR 400 & AGP 8x, although I would have to purchase a gig of DDR 400. Would I see any performance increase for the $130 I have to spend on the RAM?

The new board is an intel D865GLC chipset and as far as I know cannot be overclock, so I will be running at 2.8

Summary - 3.0ghz on PC133 or 2.8ghz on DDR400 ??

Thanks,
Aaron

Abominable1 said:
There is hardly going to be any notable difference with a 200 MHz OC anyway. I do not believe the upgrade of RAM will be truly worth it either unless you will be using hefty apps requiring loads of memory. If I were youI'd get a a DDR2 MB. But if not, why not get this board and it can OC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131484

Well the mobo is free, I thought the AGP 8x and the dual channel DDR would help. I want to spend as little as possible :)

Yep, Geforce 6800GS.

although looking at benchmarks between agp 4x and 8x there doesnt seem to be a huge difference, making the memory bandwith and 64bit bit HDD addressing the only diff..

I'll think about it a little more, thanks for your responses.

Back