• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 0 Help on P5W DH

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
Alright I'm connected to the two ezraid ports but I was really unsure as to what I was doing and I used intel matrix drivers when installing Windows XP Home. Now if I switch the sata ports to the red and the black one it says operating system not found. The reason I want to change the sata ports is because I think I'm getting a perormance drop by using the intel matrix drivers on the ezraid ports. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael

Use the two black ones... 3 & 4

You may have to do a repair (I can't remember) but that is exactly what I did, in that sequence.

yeah, use the ports above the EZ raid portsm which are indeed black if i can remember.. I used the ones that were next to eachother. Sorry, cant remember the numbers.

Never tried the EZ raid, just never liked the looks of it. :)

I use the ports 1 & 3 which are the red and black port next to each other.

Did you enable Raid in bios? Is Force BootRom enabled? Did you go into Intel Raid manager and specify what disks are in the array?

I don't what it takes to set up EZ Raid so you may have done these things.

Okay so I tried the two other sata ports to get the same responce that no operating system is found, and I hit ctrl l and it showed that i didn't have a raid 0 array so I'm pretty sure i'm using the ezraid and not the intel matrix like i thought, so my question is what program can I use to make an exact image of the hardrive to copy to another one so I can setup this raid correctly?

yeah i understand that, when I installed windows I hit f7 or f6 to install the raid driver, thinking thats all I needed but in reality I was using the ezraid built into the board, now I want to use the intel matrix driver so I would have to format the drives to set it up, so I'm wondering if I can image this drive to another one and then back so I can set it up correctly.

As I mentioned earlier... I did what you have done. Started out with a complete install on the EZ-Raid ports, then later, moved across to SATA3 & SATA4.

Having shifted the drives across to 3 & 4, I set it all up in BIOS, (SATA as RAID) so that it found the drives, forced boot rom, then used ctrl-I and set them up as an array, then during bootup, hit F6, introduced the driver and went through as though I was doing a normal install, except once it checked for a prior Operating system and found the old one, I told it to repair it, and from that point, everything was fine and dandy.

Well I was confused because their was really no array made by the intel matrix driver and when I wanted to make one it told me I would need to erase the drive, so I used Acronis True Image and copied the disk to my 250gb caviar and then made the array and copied it back. As of right now it is in the process of copying it back onto the raid setup. Hopefull all goes smoothly, next I will be installing Ubuntu/Vista my cs and cpe classes and computer labs all use ubuntu so I figured it would be best to get it on my machine as well. Thanks for the help everyone!

Sweet... probably the safest approach. As an aside... do you enjoy the Acronis? I've only ever used Ghost, but get frustrated when it gets confused over Raid arrays.

Have been loitering round here with intent (planning on upgrading to conroe:beer: )
Just read your comment fritzman on acronis & thought i'd drop in my 2c.;)
I recently added 2x80gb Hitachi sata2 in raid 0 , something i've been meaning 2 do for a while. Very pleased with results, Acronis*True*Image*Workstation 9.1 has been a key component in ensuring some file security.

As a matter of routinne i always have my docs etc, on a seperate hd to my os. But 2 cut down the time inviolved in getting a failed OS back up & running I run acronis every night 2 create an image of my OS (raid) drive. Have tested it several times using recovery cd & it's worked perfectly with raid, something Norton ghost still can't do without significant user work arounds. Can really recommend it (well at least with Nvidia raid:) )

luck;)

Thanks for the endorsement... Been getting more and more frustrated with Symantec's products and SAcronis seems to be the 'pick of the bunch' in terms of backing stuff up. Must find myself a copy.

Been getting more and more frustrated with Symantec's products
Tell me about it. They even seem to buy out decent products & screw them up:confused: - Ghost & Partition Magic. Have had issues with both & stopped using them.Acronis

luck;)

In Ghost use the -fni switch in options and it has detected all arrays I have used. It is an issue of DOS access to multiple disks.

There are only two worthwhile ways to use raid on the P5W DH.

1: Plug your drives into the orange EZ raid connectors, set jumper to raid 1 or 0, disable intel raid in the bios and enjoy the most trouble free raid ever thought possible. No bothersome loading drivers using F6 when setting up windows.

2: Intel matrix raid for uber fast performance.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=467848

Back