• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5LD2 - clocked 820D - Core speed fluctuates?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leojharris

hi there.

i'm running a 820D 2.8 at 3.5ghz; all temps are fine and the set up has been dual prime95 tested for a single day with no throttling.

however ... occasionally, the rightmark cpu monitoring program i use and that runs 24/7 to detect throttling, will sometimes show via it's task bar core clock readout that my core clock dips quickly down to something like 2.9 or 2.8 and the rapidly returns to it's regular reading of 3.46ghz. this is only a split second dip in the core speed and is not a thermal throttling function. i know it's not a thermal throttling function because one, the throttling alert does not occur, two, temps are in the mid to low 40's, and three because rightmark cpu monitor has histograms for both throttling amount and core speed and only the core speed shows a down spike in the histogram, whereas in the past and under a throttled situation, the throttling histogram will indicate a down spike.

this happens infrequently at best ... very rare and usually when a program is loading ...

what could cause this ... vdroop, etc.?

thanks.
joel.

Back