• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

differences between ds3 P and G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheCor4D

I was looking on newegg and they sell a P series and a G series of the DS3, for the same price. I was just wondering what the main differences between these boards is. All i have seen people talk about is the P series

The 965G has on-board Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000.

Ok I have a retarded friend who ordered the 965G instead of the 965P which I told him :bang head for an e6400. I figure the 965G won't overclock as well because the chipset contains extra graphics circuitry etc. Any opinions on this?

I just got the g model, it overclocks ok, but not 400fsb 1:1. I am running a 6600 tho,so that might make a difference.

Hmm :( Have you maxed everything out (aside from CPU voltage), checked ram speed, got good cooling, and done all the other usual stuff to get it up there? Which BIOS version are you using? Because I was looking through the pdf of the manual while talking him through the BIOS and it looks to have all the same options as the regular DS3.

Also I remember reading once about FSB 'dead spots' - I think it was on the xtremesystems forum. It was very strange but people said they got FSB dead spots where if they just set it to higher amounts straight away it worked. Did you do incremental increases during your testing? If so maybe just try setting up 7x400 or 8x400 right off the bat.

There are only 3 bios's for this board,I'm running the f3 bios,I tried small incriments of raising the fsb.Seems like a wall after 371 or so.

I see. So do you think it's just terrible at oc'ing compared to the non-G ones? Or are you not too worried and aren't trying every last option to get more.

From what I have gathered is that it needs a new bios for the extra cpu strap.I will run it until I see a proven 450fsb board out there.

DEZMOND said:
From what I have gathered is that it needs a new bios for the extra cpu strap.I will run it until I see a proven 450fsb board out there.

What do you mean like THIS ONE? Or another DS3 G board?

Attachments

• 475x7.JPG
    475x7.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 285
I'm actually one of those idiots that bought a G instead of a P, creating a road of annoyances along the way. So far, I am able to set everything the FSB on my e6300.

Simply put, I try to change it from 266 to 270, it reboots and stays at 266x7. I'm guessing it needs another BIOS update because my video card seems to not be picked up during POST at times, which was a problem that they tried to fix with the F3 BIOS.

We'll see how this goes. I still got patience with this board.

ekoshyun said:
I'm actually one of those idiots that bought a G instead of a P, creating a road of annoyances along the way. So far, I am able to set everything the FSB on my e6300.

Simply put, I try to change it from 266 to 270, it reboots and stays at 266x7. I'm guessing it needs another BIOS update because my video card seems to not be picked up during POST at times, which was a problem that they tried to fix with the F3 BIOS.

We'll see how this goes. I still got patience with this board.

Try disabling the onboard GFX in the bios manualy.

And the GA-965P-DS3 clocks conroes and allendales to the same FSB's.. it doesn't care if you have a E6400 or a E6600 the NB code just lets it keep on truckin.

Does the non g model have raid to?Thats another reason I got this one.My ram runs 500+ ,so I know thats not holding it back.I also put a fan on the northbridge.Whats the highest fsb you guys can boot up at?

DEZMOND said:
No I mean one for a 6600 cpu,not allendale.

Well you're not going to get 450FSB on a 9x multi regardless, short of phase cooling, not sure if that's what you meant but as greenmaji said the FSB can go equally high with either CPU you would just have to drop the multi on an e6600.

green - the board doesn't have a rea; 'disable onboard gpu' setting. You can either enable it always or have it 'turn off if PEG detected' (peg=pci-e card) so the board may be be held back by the onbaord gpu regardless if it starts it up then turns it off *shrug*

I know for a fact some boards have 'fsb dead zones' and you said you tried the incremental increase already, I say try for 400+FSB and the lowest multi you can set. If it's really an issue of additional Bios settings then oh well :(

Lol ,I tried 6 and 7 multi.I wouldn't think 9x400 would work on a stock intel cooler.

oops, sorry for no reply...haven't talked to my friend for a few days but last time I talked to him he was kind of shy about oc'ing I was trying to get him to see the light heh. Yea I don't imagine it could do 9x400 on the stock cooler :eek:

My technical understanding of straps is limited but if it only has the 266 strap then I think you've gotten all the FSB you're likely to. I'm still trying to understand the info here: http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23803 but that only mentions Asus 965 boards in particular. The way I understand that thread, for the Asus boards at least, it explains why some people experience FSB 'dead zones' - the chipset is too overclocked for the current strap but when it gets to the next strap 'breaking point' it's ok. If Gigabyte hasn't implemented the higher strap at all, or hasn't done the strap breaking point reset there's no chance of doing the higher FSB. Too bad the G Bios is so much different from the non-G because it seems like they did that for the non-G 965s.

Last edited:
Back