• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New P5B-E first look

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
spd4life said:
looks nice hope the price is right :)
well if you read first post anre says between $120-150 sound right to me with a board with the ich8R on it. my ab9-pro when first out was 150, so i have no problems with 150 agian if i can get 400+fsb for my e6400.:drool:

s00pcan said:
Meh, I like the high end features and look of the p5b-d, it's worth the cost.
for you yes for me no. as i would be replacing the nb sink anyway which would then mean the hs for the pwm's is useless.

Only one video card slot and doesnt look like it has 8 phase power either. poo
I'll be sticking with the P5B-D. Hard to argue with that price though for an asus c2d board with matrix raid.

Those mosfets look much smaller than the ones on my P5B-Deluxe. I was pretty amazed at how big they were. I wonder if that'll affect OC?

I was watching this at XS, mainly interested because ZZF had it listed at $130. However, it seems ZZF has NewEgg's rape switch on loan:

Sept 14 $129
Sept 18 $160
Sept 20 $180!

Not really worth it now - there will probably be a cheaper board that performs about as well. Plus, whatever manufacturer produces a cheaper one wont make it look as ugly as the P5B-E:)

Back down to 160 bucks at both ZZF & The Egg as of this post.

But, hyperasus brings up a very good point: Does this board have 8 phase power like the P5B-DLX?

Looked over the specs at the Asus site, & it wasn't clear as to how many phases it was. It does appear from the pics it may be only 4, but that's just a wild guess on my part. Also, I'm not sure if there's an Vmch BIOS adjustment, either (maybe it's on ver 1.02).

Really like the idea of the C2 stepping on the i965, but 8 phase power & adjustable Vmch is pretty important, at least to me, as well.

~ Strat ~

guys mine is here thursday, look for a review by me by the end of the weekend. Also have some DDR2-1000 From Team Group with D9MGH coming hopefully this weekend as well. I'll be ocing a 930 for now, later in the month it'll be a 6400

Hi dicecca112 -

Great, 'cuz there's definitely a lot of interest in this board, apparently.

FWIW, there appears to be a new rev (1.02G) superceding the original rev (1.1), which adds Vdimm up to 2.4V from the current 2.1, as well as Vmch adjustments from the current non-adjustable Vmch. At least, this is my understanding from Andre's XS thread. It was also stated in that thread, that the new rev was to be available in the retail channels approx early October, if AndeYang's info in the XS thread is accurate.

So it will be interesting, if you got yours from a retailer, to see what rev it is, & what features it has.

Of course, this is all hearsay & conjecture at this point

Anyway, like I said, FWIW.

If this is old news for you, I hope I haven't inadvertently insulted your intelligence or knowledge.

Regards,

~ Strat ~

Its 4-phase for you kentfield sooner or later on the same mobo guys.

Biostar should be entering the feild soon, not sure on power phases though.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2797&p=7
It will be cheap, matrix raid and high FSB (little bit higher then the bios for that review could muster) on XS; sounds like a contender to battle the P5B-E to me.

And it looks like the pricing on this mobo hasn't stablized yet.. its down to $151.00 now :-/

Last edited:
strat I'm aware of the thread in question and the revisions. I'm sorta hoping Andre is wrong and the 2.4 is what I'm getting. But frankly I really don't care. I got the memory as a backup, because I'm probably not gonna be feeding much voltage into the memory, and seeing that the memoru does 500 at stock, that's pretty good and if the chip can hit 4.0ghzs I know the memory isn't holding me back. I hope to have it thursday night but we'll see if not, I'll have it all Sat, but not be able to test with it till Sunday night. I'm make sure I'll get some hi-res shots and what not. I really want to see what this 930 can do, its only been in an Aw8D that couldn't oc to save its life, a cheap ECS board right now that once again can't oc. I realize its a B1 and can't oc that well, but I'd like to see at least 3.8 out of it. Plus I think the cheap ram I have in there right now could be holding it back too.

It will be intresting to see how well the 4-phase power handles the all mighty power consuming pressler MUUHAHAHAHAHA!!! :p

GO GO dicecca112!!!
Good luck man! :D

btw.. is it a early B1 (first month or so retail) or a later B1?
And put some sinks on those naked fets for pressler OCing :eek:

I would have to say it was rare to get a bum clocker then, so long as the Vcore holds up under load.

yeah I think its a combination of things, a crappy P5WD2-P that need to be rma'd, the AW8D Abit board just not Ocing to save it's life, the ECS board being an NForce Chipset. I mean temps are fine, its under water. 266FSB to hit 4.0 should be no sweat for the P5B-E that is hitting 500-600FSB without breaking a sweat. Gonna have to watch those chipset temps. Got a copper swiftech Chipset cooler in waiting here. I'm doing some writeups for another site I'm on, about the affects of Folding on Conroe vs Presler, 1GB vs 2*512 and different chipsets, its gonna be a long and fun month of testing. Glad I waited to get a board, and didn't go with the AB9 Pro or the P5B-Vanilla

Back