• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux - Why

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafa

While the points Jake makes in the front page article of August 31st are entirely valid and even compelling, I'd still not consider the absence of something (in this case security vulnerabilities) to be a killer app.

Perhaps ironically, one factor that will limit the adoption of Linux over Windows (albeit in a relatively small, but influential sector) is the absence of the ability to run creative productivity software from Adobe.

hafa said:
Perhaps ironically, one factor that will limit the adoption of Linux over Windows (albeit in a relatively small, but influential sector) is the absence of the ability to run creative productivity software from Adobe.

I have just begun to experiment seriously with Ubuntu, but this along with the lack of games is why I can't see this otherwise brilliant OS becoming the primary one on my main rig any time soon. The GIMP is good, but it just ain't Photoshop.

For me personally, it's the games. If all the games were on linux, i would be using linux, if they were on a mac, i'd be using a mac. I know some games have ports to linux and/or mac, it's that the majority have windows only releases.

It's the games for me as well... I just have a virtual machine running linux on my machine and i use it to test/familiarize myself with it because i'm new to linux. So far i love it, and i wish all games would run on it.

I love my Gentoo, which I had to uninstall because I'm selling my PC. It's the greatest OS ever. Fast, looks awesome (with Gnome :)), never crashes, what more could you want?

Nevermind, there's one thing: games...

That's why I also use(d) grub. Have to have Windows, PERIOD.

Die Microsoft!

The whole games part seems to be the deal breaker, at least on this thread anyway. I agree with you guys, I would love to toss Windows in the garbage and rely on what appears to be a very decent OS. I am in the Joe SixPack category, mayby a little more removed since I have overclocked and built my own rig, but I would still consider Linux alien territory to me at this point. I use Linux at work a little, an strickly from notes that I had compiled when I was trained, 3 months Ago. I use this list verbatim, and it works well.

It seems to me then, perhaps if Gaming Companies begin to see a trend of end users to purchase Linux as an OS, then they may tailor their games to Linux. I know this is probably a pipe dream, because the 800 pound Gorilla that is MS, destroys the competition, and they would make it very difficult for Game Designers to choose anyone else but MS for game releases. Game Designers will release software to whomever will buy them im thinking. If there is money to be made, it will be sold, but it will have to be a pretty penny if you are competing with MS.

I hope Linux has the best of luck, and shapes into the stone that fell Goliath. That would be a great thing.

I think Games are a huge part of it for a lot of people. There are a ton of gamers out there that are computer savvy and would have little issue using Linux if it supported all their games.

For me thats part of it, the other part is engineering software I have to use for school. We always end up using these obscure programs to analyze circuits and stuff. I do however have a bunch of CS classes where we use the GNU compiler, and I love programming projects in vi.

Back