• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Micro ATX board for a Core 2 Duo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the guys over at anandtech reccomended the ASRock ConRoe945G-DVI but i cant find anywhere that sells it lol

well while its is the 945 gigabyte lists easy tune 5 so i would expect it to have ocing features. where the intel board you listed has none. if you are not into ocing then i would say the intel board and spend the bit more for the E6400.

s00pcan said:
P5LD2 or whatever it is I'm using right now - a newer revision. This one is like a year old and probably doesn't support C2D.
P5LD2-VM is the matx version i looked at this board around january. Its max vdimm is only 1.8v. Now unless they upped it in the new rev's i wouldnt touch it. I would say watch for a matx abit c2d mobo, i say that as the first matx board i bought was the lg-81. Abit version of asus's p5ld2-vm. The lg-81 has vdimm up to 2.3v. Hope fully Abit will come out with one some time after the release of the AW9D mobo's. It is still to soon for nice matx boards to be out.

the reviews for the Intel Micro Atx boards that run the Conroe are very bad. Infact all the reviews for any Micro Atx board on newegg is really bad. Are there any boards coming out that maybe the reviewers on newegg wont critisize that much?

I'm guessing that since Conroe is just that new that there really isn't much for a variety of MicroAtx to choose from that offer stability and options like their standard sized counterparts.

Last edited:
OBLIVIONLORD said:
the reviews for the Intel Micro Atx boards that run the Conroe are very bad. Infact all the reviews for any Micro Atx board on newegg is really bad. Are there any boards coming out that maybe the reviewers on newegg wont critisize that much?

I'm guessing that since Conroe is just that new that there really isn't much for a variety of MicroAtx to choose from that offer stability and options like their standard sized counterparts.
i say give abit time to get a matx C2D mobo out... the only one thats any good is the asus p5b-vm but only has vdimm up to 1.95volts. i expect when abit gets one out its going to be atleast 2.3v dimm on the board i wouldnt be suprised if they do 2.4-2.5v max for the board.

Lets say if you weren;t overclocking.. what would be the ideal choice? The reviews on newegg for whats offered for micro atx conroe mobo's just arent giving me a confident decision to buy.

The asus p5b-vm has the PCI-E slot right ontop of the regular PCI slots. Im sure if you were to get a Vid card with an artic cooler or some sort it would take up the PCI-E slot and the 1 of the 2 PCI slots limiting you to just 1 PCI

OBLIVIONLORD said:
Lets say if you weren;t overclocking.. what would be the ideal choice? The reviews on newegg for whats offered for micro atx conroe mobo's just arent giving me a confident decision to buy.

The asus p5b-vm has the PCI-E slot right ontop of the regular PCI slots. Im sure if you were to get a Vid card with an artic cooler or some sort it would take up the PCI-E slot and the 1 of the 2 PCI slots limiting you to just 1 PCI

Seriously who uses pci cards any more..... ok I'm just kidding I still have 2 pci vid cards in use. In all honnesty though its a matx borad you use the onboard nic, sound, maybe you will want a pci-e card for gaming but you will still need a pci slot for your tv tuner.

I believe that the asus matx board is preaty good. but that would be my choice. yes the 1.95v is definatly a draw back of the board. If your ram can do that then i would scoop one of the bad boys up.

Im looking to go wireless with this so ill be using a wifi pci card for gamming.... not USB. By doing this ill have no PCI slots left for whatever else reason when using that Gigabyte board or anything of the sort that has the PCI-E slot right next to the PCI slot.

if your going to do a C2D matx board look for one with the 965 chipset...945 should only be considered if you really tight on money and you find one cheap.

I dont know what a C2D is but, the Asrock 945 has alot of nice feautres. Is the 965 chipset better for performance compared to the 945?

Yeah I am starting to think I may go this route as well.
I need something that is compatable with my E6700 and is a great overclocker.
It also must have Pci-E x16 slot.
I would like it if it also has pci lock and other bus locks so when I raise my FSB I am not screwing with the other devices.
Had this problem with my old nf3 754 mobo and kept getting bad harddrive sectors due to overclocking.
I am into Asus,Gigabyte,Evga,and DFI.

Ok after doing some research .. Im only going to stick with the P965 or higher.

P965 allows 800mhz DDR2 whereas 945 is 667mhz. 975 is 667mhz but, can reach 800+ since the ram voltage can be increased past 1.8v whereas 965 is limited to just 1.8v.

That also puts a damper on things when buying DDR2 800mhz for the P965 Chipset since all good ram exceeds 1.8v. Therefore I'll probably either wait for a non crossfire/sli 975x board that supports DDR2 800 at default or just buy it and say the hell with it.

I guess the real question now is.. are there any Non-Intel Micro Atx boards that use the 965 or 975 chipset? All I can find are 945 boards and nothing higher.

Dang Greenmaji your on top of things LOL.
you have posted at like every forum topic I have been to.
Do you even have a life??:santa:
Well at least your a good guy that knows what heck he is talking about..
Oh and yeah thanks for the mobo info I will go check into those right now.

A-Rapture said:
Dang Greenmaji your on top of things LOL.
you have posted at like every forum topic I have been to.
Do you even have a life??:santa:
Well at least your a good guy that knows what heck he is talking about..
Oh and yeah thanks for the mobo info I will go check into those right now.

I try to be helpfull, I like to read ;)
And I think stay at home dad is a job/life.

LOL sounds like you are in the same boat as I am in.
Stay at home dad that is.
But I am not complaining I get to play video games all day and play with my kids so lots of family time is a plus!!

Back