• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is your opinion of the corsair pc2400 cl2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fresh2k

I was just looking for the fastest and most overclockable ram. :burn: I came across this corsair pc2400 cl2 ram. it looks like a good stick. I like my corsair pc133 cl2 ram. it is currently running at 150mhz so i'm kind of a corsair fan. what do you think\ what have you seen? thanks:D

Ok.....

I'll try to remain objective.......

I've tested Nanya, Kingston, Micron(generic), Crucial, and Corsair.

Here is my opinion on the subject.

Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...Corsair...

If you feel lucky try Crucial...not bad stuff....but I've never pushed ANY brand of RAM as far as the Corsair went..

Personally...I will NEVER switch brands again!

Larry

i cant agree more. I only wonder if this ram will work well with newer motherboards.

Larry Quinn said:
I've been running the stuff in an Abit KG7-Raid and an EPOPX 8KHA+........

Faster is BETTER!!!!

Larry

How fast can you get the memory on a KG7 when the memory bus is synchronos and the multiplier goes no higher than 4:4:1?:confused:

I disagree totally, I have never seen anyone obtain a great deal higher with Corsair PC2400 than I have with good quality PC2100.
I personally have used Corsair PC2400, Crucial PC2100 and currently Kingmax PC2100.
I consider Kingmax to be a good quality memory if you are not increasing the memory voltage a great deal and I currently run this at 160 mhz CAS 2 on default voltage, the Crucial is great quality and can generally take a hike in voltage and still perform remarkably well and is worth buying. While I can not really say a bad word about the Corsair it is imho over rated as I have not seen anyone obtain speeds vastly higher than anyone has obtained using good quality PC2100, and as stability was never an issue for me with any of these memory makes, I consider the higher price of the Corsair unjustified.

Kg7-Raid....was up as far as 168 MHZ.....
Had trouble "Pushing" the timing on the board...and was never able to go CAS 2 reliably at that speed... CAS 2.5 NO PROB!!!!...

That was only when using 1 stick..if I added more..I had to slow down...It wasn't stable.

In the Epox ..I'm currently running "Turbo" mode , 4-way interleave..CAS 2......3.1V....all other memory settings pushed as fast as they will go..3 sticks of Corsair at 160 MHZ..and is the FASTEST BOARD I'VE EVER USED!!!
Everything is just plain SNAPPY!...
ROCK STABLE!!!

lastly...
my all time high point was with the ABIT....174 FSB....

But it would only run Prime 95 for 15-30 Miniutes before it had errors...

NO OTHER MEMORY WENT NEAR AS FAR AS THE CORSAIR....
Not even CLOSE!!!!

Eventually there will be another FASTER stick out there....but as of NOW...Corsair has no peers!

As always...opposing viewpoints are Welcome!!!!

Larry

PsYKo420
"Corsair sux."

Maybe you would care to elobrate on your simplistic statement?

Personally I've never had a bad stick of Corsair ram in about 2 dozen total purchases of it!

All has oc'ed extremely well.

Personal high was on an Abit BE6-2 r2 Raid, running the memory at 152 mhz. Corsair 133 CAS2. (I am only counting settings that I constantly stayed and used for extended periods of time.)

Cheers,
Mike Lamb

Larry Quinn said:
In the Epox ..I'm currently running "Turbo" mode , 4-way interleave..CAS 2......3.1V....all other memory settings pushed as fast as they will go..3 sticks of Corsair at 160 MHZ..and is the FASTEST BOARD I'VE EVER USED!!!
Everything is just plain SNAPPY!...
ROCK STABLE!!!

Larry [/B]

you liked the epox over the abit? why? was it just faster or did it overclock better, more reliable. i am curious because you seem to have already tested all the limits. what were your results?
:burn:

I found the main differance was with the chipsets.

The Abit has the AMD 760 chipset and the Epox has the KT266A

The Epox could slow it's FSB by 20 or so MHZ and STILL turn in better Sandra memory scores.

I know that Abit will be..or just has released it's own board based on the KT266A chipset..

By all rights it should be a great board....

The problem is that a direct comparison between the KG7-Raid and the 8KHA+ Isn't fair to begin with.

It's not even my opinion based on benchmark scores either...

The Epox setup is just plain snappier than the Abit EVER was.

Larry

"The Epox setup is just plain snappier than the Abit EVER was.

Larry"

Well I had a Epox 761 chipset in the 8K7A+ that I tried to run for about a week. Mobo had bad probs, so I gave up on my last AMD system attempt. Although my mobo had probs, i really liked the way the mobo was setup and handled. I'll give Epox credit on that to!

But I have heard several peeps claim they are getting excellent benches out both Epox boards. So if you ain't having problems and it seems snappy and you got the bench scores to go with it, I guess I'd have to give credit where credit is due! Sounds like you got a very good setup.... Personally though, I think Abit's mobos are more thought out, and more consideration give to making a more stable system while oc'ing it..

Cheers,
Mike Lamb

in my opinion corsair is too expensive to be worth it, a nice stick of crucial'll do almost as well. if you have the money though, i guess you could go for it, although the money might be better spent on something else in the comp.

Back