• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which to get for E6600 ES, PW5 Dx or P5B Dx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wam

So far the difference I can find between them are the chipset and the ICH8 on P5B & ICH7 on the P5W. Which is the better for overclocking?

I can pick up a P5W DX at the moment for £30 ($50) cheaper than the P5B Dx but I am wondering whether is will clock to the 400+ that I will want?

I have read that the P5B-D is the better clocker, as long as you have DDR2 that will clock high. Read through the Intel CPU subforum to get a feel. Lot of good talk going on right now.

Just yo give you an idea, my 6600 at 3.4 on my p5W runs most benches faster then 3.6-3.7 6600 on the p5B. P5B has less issues though....

Thanks for that... interesting. Diddy what kind of issues did you have with the P5W. Need to see if I can find out some real app figures on the differences. Where I will need the speed is in video encoding as that's my main full load activity.

Wam said:
Thanks for that... interesting. Diddy what kind of issues did you have with the P5W. Need to see if I can find out some real app figures on the differences. Where I will need the speed is in video encoding as that's my main full load activity.

Pretty much my only gripe with it is the damn RAM dividers are ****e....

I can hit 4:5 on mine, but I get this wierd issue where my PC won't POST (like a failed OC), I hit the reset button, and it then POSTs fine with no mention of a bad OC. I soon as I turn the divder down to 1:1, it'll POST till the cows come home. :) This is due to how tight the timings are on the board.

2:3 is impossible to get on the board with the current BIOS' that are out. Supposedly, ASUS is working on what that will fix this by allowing for more RAM settings to be changed, but this remains to be seen.

All in all, I would recommend it for you. At the same clocks, it'll outperform the p5b all day long....

Rule of thumb is P5B for allendale, P5W for conroe. Either way, 975x is faster clock for clock, but P5B clocks higher. Either board will be able to max that CPU, but the 975x chipset will be faster at that same clock. I love mine, except for the 4:5 issue.

-Collin-

NinjaZX6R said:
Rule of thumb is P5B for allendale, P5W for conroe. Either way, 975x is faster clock for clock, but P5B clocks higher. Either board will be able to max that CPU, but the 975x chipset will be faster at that same clock. I love mine, except for the 4:5 issue.

-Collin-

one quick question, i just got my p5w w/ conroe
however, i can't get it work w/ dual chann ram...
will it be the 4:5 issue?
my rig works perfect fine with single ram

If you have subzero cooling get the P5B-Deluxe, if you have normal cooling get the P5WDH. This is due to FSB limits.

inclemental said:
one quick question, i just got my p5w w/ conroe
however, i can't get it work w/ dual chann ram...
will it be the 4:5 issue?
my rig works perfect fine with single ram

I had that problem when I used the yellow slots. Try the other slots. Have you tried that yet?

-Collin-

Wam said:

Allow me to share my experience with this board. ;)

It has been working smooth as silk since day 1. I have had absolutely ZERO problems thus far. The board has the stock cooler on (did not even change the TIM). My E6400 is cmfortably sitting at 3.2 GHz. It is Pi 32M stable at 3.44 but the chip got bloody hot and almost hit 65 C !! I backed off because I did not want to toast it. :)

I think once I move to water, I can hit 3.44 stable on the CPU. In the SS, the RAM is completely taken out of the equation. The video card is a $200 x1800xl 512Mb which I flashed to an x1800xt. I have had no problems at all with the wireless card. I game online everyday and there are no problems with lagging or the network breaking down. Simply put, I have had a super smooth experience. :beer:

344ghzug6.jpg

Nice!

I have a similar setup, but I have the x1800gto2 512mb which I need to flash to x1800xt I'll be happy with 400fsb with my e6600.

Back