• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5Bwifi and RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hobbz

Registered
I just have a simple question. I know this mb is super picky about ram and I know that most use ddr2 800 ram in it. I was just wondering if anyone has tried to use ddr2 533 in it. On the website it says it can handle it and I have some really nice geil and kingston 533 that I am currently running on my P5GD2 and I am thinking about upgrading but want to hold off on the RAM for a bit if I can.

Hobbz said:
On the website it says it can handle it and I have some really nice geil and kingston 533
I'm using some "non-listed" Corsair valueSelect 667 (can't afford the 800 stuff / waiting on 1066 when it gets cheaper) & it works fine. If your DDR2s are on =>their list<= then it should be fine... . If not, then it's a bit more of a gamble... :p

Running now P5B-Dlx on smithfield D805 with two sticks of Corsair Value Select each 512MB 667Mhz (PC2-5300) and its fine.

I actually broke down and bought some different ram.... I was playing around with my current ram and I was able to OC it to about 970mhz which isnt too bad for 533 ram.

But I found this great 667 ram on Newegg. Click Here. Many people say it works fine in P5B board and has HUGE OCing ability. And the price is excellent too. I cant wait and see!

I could be wrong, but after reading a lot of those JEDEC and Intel latest white papers on these new DDR2 specifications, actually anything above 667Mhz is not officially finalized/approved yet.

And this prolly lead to a lot of confusion at those 800 or above between the mobo and ram manufacturers, again just my speculation.

Back