• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5W DH Deluxe stock NB/mosfet heatsink remove, void warranty?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ImportPsycho

I want to remove that tin cover on NB and SB heatsink
would that void warranty?
it feels like really thin flexable sheet, attached with probably double sided tape, I dont think I can reattech back once I remove it...

if I choose to use aftermarket NB cooler, I would have to remove the whole NB/mosfet cooling setup... then what do I do about cooling the mosfets?

thanks

Any alteration of a motherboard voids the warrentee technicaly.
That would include removing the cover or removing the stock HS to replace it with an aftermarket one.
You would use aftermarket heatsinks on the mofests (the ones not covered on the edge of the board could use some sinking to ;) )

Ive not contacted Asus to find out how flexable they are about modification, you might want to give that a shot.
Afterall, they do expect you to overclock with it ;) or you would have bought a Intel board :eek: (disclamer.. yes some intel motherboards can overclock now.. by general rule if your plaining on running stock, most would use an intel motherboard)

ImportPsycho said:
I want to remove that tin cover on NB and SB heatsink
would that void warranty?
it feels like really thin flexable sheet, attached with probably double sided tape, I dont think I can reattech back once I remove it...

if I choose to use aftermarket NB cooler, I would have to remove the whole NB/mosfet cooling setup... then what do I do about cooling the mosfets?

thanks

Try this link, it will not answer your warranty question but will show you how to remove them.:)
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106563

Are you talking about the plastic cover? Its just there to prevent scratches, definately take it off.

If you take the NB and SB sinks off the mobo and carefully slide something flat and very thin underneath all surfaces, you can get them off without bending them. I used a thin artists metal spatula to free mine up.
Once you have freed the glue as above from the top and the 2 sides, carefully pull the side covers out a bit and use the thin wide tool to gently lift the top free. Work it gradually across the top or else you will put a noticable kink in the top cover.

They just have a soft adhesive holding them on.

I got mine off and put them in a bag so i can just put them back on if i need to rma.

ASUS marketing sure had a stupid idea to put a sexy looking cover over a heat sink on an OC'ing mobo :bang head:

Back