• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3D Graphics freeze ups on DS3 Help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veraxitas

I keep having graphics issues in 3D gaming with my ds-3. I say its the motherboard b/c I have tried 3 different GeForce cards 7900GT, 7900GTX, and 7600GS, and they all do the same thing. I get freeze ups, artifacting, and most of the time when I leave a game its like the memory is overloaded b/c the desktop still has images from the game on it and images are broken up and nothing works and the screen goes black, then back to broken, then black and then freezes. I end up having to restart the computer and then its ok. I have checked temps and the card never goes above 54 degrees. The motherboard temps are usually around 45 degrees. I have tried re-formatting and re-installing windows, have tried 2 different power supplies, I have tried 4 different drivers and even changed out my memory sticks. I even tried another CPU. I have chganged everything, including 3 different DS3 motherboards and they all do the samething. So I am assuming it is an incompatibility issue or something I need to change in the bIOS. BTW, I do have the latest F5 Bios.

veraxitas said:
I keep having graphics issues in 3D gaming with my ds-3. I say its the motherboard b/c I have tried 3 different GeForce cards 7900GT, 7900GTX, and 7600GS, and they all do the same thing. I get freeze ups, artifacting, and most of the time when I leave a game its like the memory is overloaded b/c the desktop still has images from the game on it and images are broken up and nothing works and the screen goes black, then back to broken, then black and then freezes. I end up having to restart the computer and then its ok. I have checked temps and the card never goes above 54 degrees. The motherboard temps are usually around 45 degrees. I have tried re-formatting and re-installing windows, have tried 2 different power supplies, I have tried 4 different drivers and even changed out my memory sticks. I even tried another CPU. I have chganged everything, including 3 different DS3 motherboards and they all do the samething. So I am assuming it is an incompatibility issue or something I need to change in the bIOS. BTW, I do have the latest F5 Bios.

Some video cards are simply flakey on the DS3. Run CPUz and check out the motherboard tab. It probably says 1x PCI-E instead of 16x PCI-E. I have yet to see a reliable way to fix that, but I had an Asus 6200TC that was reporting 1x PCI-E. I switched it for a Gigabyte 7600GS and it says 16x and we've been doing just fine :)

I know you've already tried with a bunch of different cards. You could theorhetically try changing the PCI-E frequency from 100 to 105mhz in bios. This seems to have helped some people.

Back