• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p5nsli results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I was motivated to buy this board only as a cheap dedicated folder; of course wanted to squeeze every bit of performance out of it, even though it is a cheap board. Here are my setup specs and final results:

Hardware
proc:
E6400 OPGY ES
ram:
2x 512mb pqi ddr2 667
psu:
Enermax Liberty 400w
o/s:
w2k/sp4

BIOS settings

cpuid val-disabled
c1e-diabled
speedstep-disabled
spread spectrum-disabled

pcie-100mhz (not using a pcie card)

voltages
memory [auto]
vcore [1.4]
chipset [1.5]

Final stable result with 2 f@h clients running is 2584mhz @323fsb. I thought I could do 2630mhz @327fsb but it just wasn't going to happen.

What I like:

1. Nice layout on motherboard;even like the little "Q panel" connector thingy to make it easier to hook up front panel wiring.
2. System very 'forgiving' of a bad oc; most of time I'd just switch the psu off for a few seconds then turn it back on. No need to reset the cmos jumper.
3.Appears to run cool, unless the sensors are inaccurate. This is contrary to what I've read on other forums and in reviews.

What I don't like:

1. Oveclocking the p5nsli was a pita and as such, I'm done with it unless a bios update becomes available which I doubt, as Asus will probably focus on the 590 chipsets and just relegate this board as part of their 'budget minded' market.
2. Well, I could say this of any motherboard, but the usual lack of detail in the manual regading the effect of certain bios selections.

Well, that's about it; as I mentioned the board is running 2 instances of f@h right now for over 2 hours and appears to be stable, so I'll just leave it alone.

I'd be interested in hearing of any of your experiences with the p5nsli.

;)

I love mine, but I was weary of buying it when I had to RMA my old ASUS board. No problems(physcal or performance) with my P5N-SLI, probably the best motherboard ive ever owned.

However I cannot stand the fact that I cant go past 240FSB :/.

The p5nsli is a very decent board...just not for my particular needs. My passion is folding for Overclockers Forums folding@home team, and as such need a system that provide maximum memory bandwidth possible(equals max pointage). When I've got this board running a Conroe, and have it tweaked as far as possible stable, and my Pentium D's are still out-performing it, well...something's really wrong. :eek:

ihrsetrdr said:
Update:

RMA

what else can I say???

:bang head

Maybe asus will return you a different conroe mobo by mistake :shrug:

What a pita to not only be disappointed by the mobo's OC;ing but also to have to RMA it so soon ... like rubbing salt in the wound :eek:

Hopefully you will get a few more fsb out of it's replacement :)

No replacement Pete, just an RMA~refund; will have to eat a 15% restocking fee plus return shipping. I was going to drop an 820D in the P5NSLI and sell the board the D came out of, but I'll be money ahead going this route since the p5ld2 board won't fetch more than $60-65 max. I'm looking closely at the P5b deluxe(which you recommended in the first place).

Buying cheap motheboards gets you exactly what you paid for...lessoned learned, again. :eek:

You can just slap me now and tell me "I told you so". ;)

Its not a good folding board... Its really made for mid end gaming and benching. Nethier of which my other hardware can perform well :bang head

my P5ND2 board could go past 1000, but it had nforce4.

Back