• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a Pentium D 820

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KingK76

Registered
Hi guys! I have a Pentium D 820 on an Intel D945GCZ Mainboard (from Gateway). Is there any way to overclock this setup? I read an article supported by images of this proc. being O/C'd to 3.597GHz! I think the motherboard he was using was by Gigabyte (or something?). There doesn't seem to be an option in BIOS however I have heard of software based o/c utilities. Even modding the mainboard itself... The bus speed in the example earlier went from 200MHz/800MHz/2800MHz > 255MHz/1033MHz/3597MHz! I would love 50% of these results! Thanks for any help you could offer guys!

Typically, any mobo from a big name OEM like Gateway will not allow you to overclock. I'm not 100% sure if any software you can find will help.

What Mobo will?

What Motherboard will allow me to O/C that proc. (Pentium D 820 2.8GHz)? And would I need other hardware?

depends on how much you are willing to spend. The best thing to do is figure out exactly what type of motherboard you have now, then look for one with the same chipset but made by a different manufacturer like Asus, Abit, MSI, or Gigabyte.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128322
So that is a link to a 945GZ board made by Gigabyte. You should be able to simply swap that motherboard in without having to buy anything else.

But, you will have other limiting factors to how well you can overclock like the power supply, the memory, and the heat sink on the chip. So, if you want to really overclock your system, you are going to have to spend a little bit more money, and do a lot more research. A great place to start researching is reading all of the stickies here on this forum.

Back