• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

budget pentium d 805 mobo's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

splat

ASCII Moderator
I'm trying to price up a cheap pentium d 805 system that will overclock decently. I'm looking at the MSI 945P Neo2-F mobo but I can't find any info on how well it overclocks. Since price is my main concern, I'm sticking with air cooling, so I know I'm not going to be breaking any overclock records. Will the MSI board fit my needs, or should I be looking at Asus or Abit? Or is 945P not going to fit at all?

I just noticed that there is a MSI 945PL board that is $12 cheaper, but only supports DDR2-533. I can run DDR2-667 with the 945P. There doesn't seem to be any difference in the price of the ram, so will the upgrade in ram give me a little boost in performance?

i'm looking at the 945p's because they are sub-$100, and I am making a budget pc, so every $ counts. If I was looking to spend more money, i would just go 975x.

i want a regular atx board, so the 945g is out. with the second link, are you suggesting the gigabyte board is better than the msi and the abit?

i am suggesting the gigabyte board because its more future proof. I can not see suggesting a motherboard now that is not able to support C2D. It is just a waste of money to buy one that is not C2D ready,IMO. Yes the new gigabyte boards are ocing better then the current Abit offerings.

as for C2D support, I really don't see myself buying one. Since Quad-Cores are coming out in Q1 of 07 and I try to stick to a 2-3 year upgrade cycle, I think i'm going to skip right over the Conroe's. I've also found that when I upgrade, I always end up building an entire new system to take advantage of new chipsets and new memory. I've never quite justified the purchase of just a new chip. For instance, my current socket 939 rig. My MSI mobo says it is X2, dual-core ready, but the only 939 chips I see on Newegg that have a HT of 1g to match my mobo are the single core Opterons.

As for MSI mobo's overclocking, I've had a good experience with my current MSI board. I wouldn't say it is any better or worse that the Asus I had before. I'd also say the only problems I've had overclocking were due to my Clawhammer core, not the mobo. In fact, if you research the mobo I have, it got rave reviews from all sites at the time.

And from what I gather, i'm not going to be able to take the 805 above 200mhz fsb (especially on air cooling) so most any mobo should be able to handle that, correct me if I'm wrong.

are you upgrading to a 805 D?

You could also buy a x2 4800+ for 289$. No need to buy mobo, ram nor cpu.

As far as i know all 939 boards are compatible with all 939 processors... sometimes they need a bios update but that´s about it.

QPower said:
are you upgrading to a 805 D?

You could also buy a x2 4800+ for 289$. No need to buy mobo, ram nor cpu.

As far as i know all 939 boards are compatible with all 939 processors... sometimes they need a bios update but that´s about it.

well, I am upgrading to the 805 d, but i am turning this current rig into a server, so it will still be in use. But like i said in my previous post, i wasn't sure if the "1000mhz HT" could be upgraded by a bios update or if that was specific to the hardware, so if i got a new X2 chip that had 2000mhz HT, it would work but run slower than normal.

Back