• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with xbx975 and conroe 6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jchurch

Doesn't like me for some reason.

Stats
6600 c2d.
xbx975 board says 305 on a sticker on it.
enermax 620 (supports cross fire and SLI)
corsair DDR2 6400 two one gig sticks (two gigs located in the blue slots)
one 74 gig raptor SATA
pioneer dvd rewriteable drive
Mitsumi floppy drive
1900xtx.

I have tried booting with the hard drive in the blue sata's and in the black sata's neither work. Tried booting without the HD installed didn't matter either.

I tried without the dvd drive, with the dvd drive makes no difference.

I tried booting with the floppy drive and without the floppy drive made no difference.

I cant even get in to the bios... I tried moving the cmos switch removing the battery. Nearly everything I can think of.

I am kind of at the end of the rope I cant think of anything else to try. Any ideas from anyone else. The only thing i can think of is maybe the board isn't compatable with the conroe chips but I dont know how to test this. I could pick up a cheap 775 chip but why go through that if that isn't the case.

All items purchased from online retailers (newegg, mwave) so taking it back in to the store is kind of hard to do. I could call them and see if they have returns or exchanges.

This is the screen i usually get frozen at. the code at the bottom is EB another code is A5. the other screen is a raid screen asking to press f4 or ctrl-S but keyboard isn't responding tried usb and conventional PS2.

http://static.flickr.com/84/241115457_f9c04d504b.jpg

Ok, first off, you have a revision 305 board which supports C2D...anything rev 304 and higher is ok...so you should be ok there

I would put the BIOS config jumper in recover mode, and see if it boots into the BIOS...with the jumper installed, it should go right in without any keyboard input...

http://support.intel.com/design/motherbd/bx/bx_confg.htm

From there you can set all your settings for memory timings and such and then power down, reset the jumper and try booting it again...

The only question I have about your hardware is...does your power supply have the 24x8 motherboard connectors???

Here is the tech document for the board, but deciphering post codes isn't usually that helpful...especially if it happens to freeze at different points...

ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/bx/D3611001US.pdf

I would also check to make sure the heatsink is making good contact with the CPU...if it's just a little crooked, it will overheat and freeze up pretty quick...

jumper in normal position = nothing other then a blank screen sometimes it makes it to the raid screen asking me to press F4.

jumber in configure position = freezes up at the screen above with either EB or A5 listed.

jumper in recovery position (removed) nothing on the screen random floppy drive activity.

my power supply
http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/p...id=82&osCsid=263b8d67fcc5003ad3d37803aa5a6441
its cables and layout.
http://enermaxusa.com/catalog/graphics/products/power/psu_cables/liberty_cables.jpg

honestly this thing has got me stumped. I am thinking about just taking it in to some place and seeing if they can solve this riddle.

Took it in to some random shop. was told the motherboard was defective. I asked how they found out this issue. They said they went through 3 other boards and found that the processor worked fine in the P5B board but didn't work in the other boards. I asked about the memory and they said it was put in the P5b and worked. The videocard wasn't tested because they didn't have a DVI monitor to test it with. I said if you say motherboard is bad ill RMA it get a new one. Was quoted 80 bucks and they said they would find out what part was bad and let me know, gave them the heads up it was a core 2 duo and was told that it wouldn't be a problem. When I picked it up was told the bill was 160 because they had to drive and pickup 3 other boards to even test the processor. that was last week.

I got my new motherboard today and the same issue... meaning the motherboad isn't defective it must be something else. I have dug around and called mwave (where i ordered most of the parts with the exception of the videocard) and the tech support guy said its likely the videocard from the error messages. His suggestion is to pick up a cheap video card and see if that solves the issue. if it does solve it then exchange the defective one for a new one.

So far out 170bucks and the issue isn't resolved now off to find a new videocard to see if that fixes it.

PS tried single sticks of memory and the same issue.

DOA doubtful.

Two motherboards, two video cards, different memory modules... Different CPU (original worked perfectly in a asus board)...

Returned parts I was able to return (everything except the processor) only out 15% across the board other then the processor. Sold the processor to a friend for 250. Now awaiting the next new thing to come down. Might just bite the bullet and get a pc from voodoo-pc or falcon because someone wants to buy my case.

Back