• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conroe Mobo Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cheap, good OCer, not dual GPU cabalities> Gigabyte DS3
Expensive, 975 chipset, great OCer, alot of features, CF ready> Asus P5W DH

Thanks for the tips, also SLI isn't an issue as I'll probably never have more than one GPU. I know there are a ton of Conroe topics on here, and I've been looking at them I just wanted to make a topic and see if there were any new suggestions.

Brainstew said:
I'm building a new computer with a Conroe E6600 cpu and I need some help on choosing a motherboard. I plan on over clocking it to 3.2 Ghz, so I need a mobo that has fairly good bios for Ocing and is also stable. I'm hoping for a mother board that is under $200.

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115003
Ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590
holycrap batman

i paid $250 for my 6400-c4 2gig kit about month ago...this is the lower end stuff and is going for 320 wtf!? o_O

really for a great clocking mobos
Asus P5B or P5B-E <--not out yet
Gigabyte 965p-DS / 965P-S3
or for 975
DFI Inifinity 975x <--only if you want to go CF/SLI, is $184 @newegg
the other boards are $150 and lower.

as far as ram though i would say get these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820220095
they oc to ddr-800 speeds and faster using about the same voltage and timings. it depends on the board to how fast you can go and at those timings. Personally i wouldnt spend more then $250-275 for ram.

depends on which brand you prefere. the 965 mobos i listed are all ocing about the same. you are missing a mobo in your above post if you are asking between 2 you are looking at.

no not really the only difference, it is still a 965 yes but can oc differently based on what intel added or took off of it. since the first one is a 965G which has on board video may not oc the same at the 965P which is the performance version of the 965 chipset. Get the 965P-ds3 , you can always get a cheap video card that is better then the onboard and wont limit your oc.

Your goal is only 3.2Ghz.. you only need 355FSB to pull that off with the E6600, 975X motherboards have better mem. performance (that and its a bit tougher to run updividers and high mem. freqency on them). If your intrested in all the performance you can get out of that mild overclock, I would get a 975X.
On the other hand, if you had your goals set higher and a lower model chip the DS3 would be a completly solid choice.

omg....please don't buy that corsair ram...Holy cow that thing is a ripoff. Buy some teamgroup ddr 667 ($255 @ tankguys(can run at 1000 with like 5-5-5-15 or something) Or buy patriot ($179 @ newegg). Holy cow...that's expensive ><

and go with a ds3

I did it

I can answer your question perfectly! I have an E6600 and had a Msi965neo m/b, it' sucked! So I returned it and bought the GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 motherboard... It ROCKS! I have pretty low end PC2 4200 memory and spun the FSB from 266MHz to 356MHz (2396MHz to 3204MHz) with no problem! (Well at first it was stable in windows because I o/cd it with the software proivided in windows but when I would restart it didn't want to get past the first windows screen! That happend about 3 times then it worked itself out!?) I have a Zalman CPS9500 CPU air cooler and everything seems to be fine! Next i want to upgrade the RAM so I can go even further! Anything over 360MHz FSB isn't so stable, It's the memory though... If I change It I hope to get to 400MHz stable! I hope this helped!:)

Back