• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B Deluxe overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s00pcan

Right, um. How do I overclock my computer? Seriously, point me in the right place. I upped the FSB and cpu voltage a bit, but I know there is a lot more to it that I haven't been able to get anyone to explain to me (ram stuff). I have the stuff in my sig, (latest bios) and need to know what settings I should be using. Thanks. Also, how do I set the speed of the fans on this mobo? I had the fans hooked up to 12v, but that was too loud. I connected them to the mobo and speedfan still shows no options. And none of asus' software will install on vista.

Last edited:
hm first i would get a dif PSU then I would say you are good to go! Also, what are the exact specs on your ram, could come into play when you are OCing.

Read what guides? and search does nothing but make you dig threw a ton of useless info that has nothing to do with this mobo and cpu specific.
First time poster so please forgive me if I missed a post here.
I have yet to come across a good layout of the P5B deluxe mobo for O/C with a E6600.
Been surfing for a few days and they are all very vaugue but sure do rant and rave over how high of a O/C they achieve.

motoman said:
Read what guides? and search does nothing but make you dig threw a ton of useless info that has nothing to do with this mobo and cpu specific.
First time poster so please forgive me if I missed a post here.
I have yet to come across a good layout of the P5B deluxe mobo for O/C with a E6600.
Been surfing for a few days and they are all very vaugue but sure do rant and rave over how high of a O/C they achieve.
Hey, Welcome to the forum:welcome: ..

Well where to start???
1. Set your IA Tuning to "manual".
2. The "CPU Frequency" is the way you raise your fsb. So start out slow.. You might hit a snag at 333-370, you might.
3. PCI Express- I left mine at 100
4. pci clock sync. lock in at 33.33
5. The voltage's are self explanitory. It depends on your ram and cpu and how your cooling is set up.
6. Go into the cpu section>enable modify ratio support, this is your multiplier.
6a. I disabled everthing but the "execute disable bit" and "cpu TM function".
7.North bridge>Configure dram>disable, this opens up the timings for the ram.
It depends on the ram on what to set here..
7a. Disable Static read control..

Ummm, pardon me if I left something out. But that will get you going. :)

Last edited:
7a. Disable Static read control..

ohhhh, ok , you would be surprised how valuable tips like those are, updated the bios, and got tossed another myriad of buttons that i dont understand the function of, Thanks border.

ALSO, GET cpu-Z it is simple and can tell you the actual speeds, after you boot.
one thing that drove me up the wall, and something to watch for, is the Doubble powerup, if you get a doubble powerup, then it Probably didnt take what you gave it, and instead re-clocked for you, back to something more nomal
that doubble restart sound is a good clue that your OC didnt even make it to boot the bios stuff.

the memory should be set for the setting that shows it at 2X the "FSB" setting thing, to be stable. so if you get to 335 (for example) the memory at first should be reading 2x that at 670. (later you can attempt to crank it up too).

Start out standard, to see what the Voltages are, in the hardware monitor section , that helps to determine just how high your getting if you do volt up, as the newer processors dont take the HIGH voltages the older ones did, upping the voltage AND the speed, will kick up the heat fast.

Baby steps. for some darn reason, mine liked to be INCHED up, speeds that i could not aquire at the 600th friggin boot (reset itself in the doubble boot) would work just fine as i inched up into them, right before i went to high and had to step back.

HARD test after your up into the operating system, while doing Arithmatic and FPU or GPU operations, might display your speed well, your STABILITY can only be determined by TONS of stuff happening at ONCE, not by one math operation working on the side.
have various methods of testing that will include Hard drive 2D and 3d display, AND cpu use all at the same time.
what looks stable with single benchmark items, might not be stable when REALITY hits, create situations of reality, by doing things you might normally do, but 100X faster.

Cause these CPU chips now have sub tasks for everything, stability is PROVED only when ALL of the subtasks, and all of the i/o through all of the buss items and bridge chips are hit all at one time.

Last edited:
Thanks alot you 2:) This is enough info to start plugging away here.
I get the double reboot only after I change something in the bios.

I had to flash bios up to 614, it came with the oldest one on it.
Anyone using the Zalman CNPS9500 AT Heatsink/fan combo?
I had it on mine then I grabbed it to see how well it was seating and was shocked to find it way to loose for my liking. I had no choice but to use the the stock one for now until I figure out why. Any tips on how to make that heatsink tighten down on the cpu?

Anyone else using this ram?
Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5D
Type » DDR2-1066 (XM2S-8500)
Size » 2GB Kit (2 x 1GB)
Latency » 5-5-5-15-2T

Thnx for the help!

motoman said:
I had to flash bios up to 614, it came with the oldest one on it.

Thnx for the help!
What do you mean? The 614 is the newest one. The date should be 2006/09/08 .. If it isn't, you might re-flash. http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Concerning your hs/f, is this the way you attach it to the bracket http://www.viperlair.com/images/reviews/cooling/air/heatsinks/zalman/cnps9500/install2.jpg ? I don't know cuz I don't have that model.. On my Zalman that I used for one of my AMD's, I didn't use the bracket, just bolted through the hs bracket to the backplate with some other screws..Carefully not to tighten down too much..

Last edited:
I ment that mine came with bios #0302. So I flashed it up to bios #0614
There is a beta bios but I didnt bother with it.
I cant tell from that pic how thats mounted. Mine came with a back plate and a front stand with 4 bolt holes on it. There is a small metal bracket that goes over the base of the heatsink and draws down on it to the upper front bracket.
Thing is, the heatsink isnt coming close to drawing down tight enough against the cpu. I can wiggle it back and forth with little effort at all.

I see what your saying how you mounted your's, food for thought and a good idea. I'll head to the hardware store and find some shorter screws and try that idea.
Under the screws, are you putting anything there so to draw down evenly?
Ahh, never mind. I cant do that at all, the sink/fan would be cocked off rotation becuse of the little metal bracket can only pass threw the heatsink at a 90 degree angle.

I just noticed other people are saying the same thing about this Zalman H/S.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16835118003

2 Comments=
"Like someone else said, it's difficult on my MOBO-chip combo (Asus P5B Deluxe - E6400) to tell if it's making good contact. In fact, I can wiggle the fan back and forth on the mount, so it's definitely not completely tight. If it made slightly better contact, I'd have given it 5 eggs instead of 4"

"The mounting system is kind of weird. After installing this thing, I just didn't feel confident that it was on very tight."

Last edited:
Psycogeec said:
and something to watch for, is the Doubble powerup, if you get a doubble powerup, then it Probably didnt take what you gave it, and instead re-clocked for you, back to something more nomal
that doubble restart sound is a good clue that your OC didnt even make it to boot the bios stuff.

the double start aka "cold boot" is normal. if you reboot after making changes, and it does not even POST, then you oc'd too far. if you reboot after making changes and it posts twice (2 beeps) than you oc'd too far. if you reboot after you make changes and windows hangs, you oc'd too far.

if you reboot after making changes, and you hear your fans kick on, then off, then back on and you post, then you should be good to go, as long as windows loads.

my sig is 24/7 stable at these speeds, and it cold boots. :D

I noticed the same thing while installing my zalman fan. I had to align it correctly myself, since there is nothing on it to do it for you.

One thing I noticed is its really good to take baby steps on OCing the P5B MB. If you overclock it too much mine was reseting the bios to stock settings and I was having to redo my raid config setup and evertything.

As for the largerer air cooling sinks for the 775s they will always be able to be wiggled on your cpu, if you crank them down too far you will fry your chip. I had the x120 before I went to WCing and I almost toasted my 540 chip by trying to crank it down too tight so the sink didnt move.

I'm still having problems overclocking my system. Seriously, someone explain what ram has to do with overclocking. If my crappy 1gb stick is holding me back, then let me know so I stop wasting my time trying to overclock with it in there. I usually have it at about 330fsb x8, but I want it to be 3.0 at least. Also, when I first built this it idled about 86 degrees - now it idles 105-115 even. Doesn't seem logical for the small overclock compared to other people here.

s00pcan said:
I'm still having problems overclocking my system. Seriously, someone explain what ram has to do with overclocking. If my crappy 1gb stick is holding me back, then let me know so I stop wasting my time trying to overclock with it in there. I usually have it at about 330fsb x8, but I want it to be 3.0 at least. Also, when I first built this it idled about 86 degrees - now it idles 105-115 even. Doesn't seem logical for the small overclock compared to other people here.
" idles 105-115"? I hope that's fahrenheit.. If it is, then that's only 46c, which isn't the worst I've seen.. Mine idles at around 40-44c, @1.525vcore though, with watercooling.

don't want to thread jack but on the p5bd, im @ 367mhz rock solid stable, but 368 doesn't post... not sure whats goin on, anyone else had that problem?

What kind of RAM do you have? 533mhz? 667? 800? What did you set your timings too? Mine wont run at all if I dont take it off auto and tell the MB that is DDR2-667 (or what ever I have is cranked up to. Its usually running between 800-900mhz.)

Back