• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pb5-dlx, extremely odd problem, can sb voltage kill hard drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Killaapp

Hey guys,

I have been running totally stable at 475x7. Figured today I would set the mobo voltages on max and go for a little more fsb.

FSB Term: 1.45ish?
MCH / NB = 1.6
ICH = 1.2ish
SB Voltage = 1.8

eveything booted at 488fsb and even passed dual super pi 32m.

Orthos failed at an hour so i powered down to back off a bit. Had to pull CMOS cause system wouldnt boot. Now, whenever i try to use files off my hard drive, i get these weird problems where windows says it cannot save the file and to try resaving? The comp seems to lag every few seconds as well.

Could there be something permanantly damaged from having sb voltage at 1.8volts for an hour? I have about 6 case fans so air flow is usually pretty decent in my case. I am mainly getting these problems when I try to use my (d) drive, which is just like a junk hard drive.

could the high sb voltage fried my drive?

could i have accidently enabled some sort of write protection? I am really confused and sort of scared right now, currently typing on my laptop. Also once and a while a weird skreatch would come out of my speakers, i am using a pci sound blaster audigy 2 zs. This also makes me scared that something could be up with the sb.

I was also having major issues with the P5B DLX; I could only get 3.GHz max no matter what voltage I gave it. It would also power down and wouldn't reboot until I pulled the cmos and set the jumper to clear for about 10 hours! This happened 3 times, and two of those times i was setting everything back to stock. This is the first of many Asus motherboards that I have owned that I’m completely disappointed with.

I guess the weird part is that it has been runing totally fine for about 2 weeks. It was only AFTER i messed with the fsb termination. mch, ich, and sb voltages that this started happening. I am also wondering if an unstable overclock could have messed up my hard drives? Maybe curropted some of the information on them?

Well, it's been known to happen. Can you back up your data and try a re-install or is all your data screwed already? Have you set everything to default settings? I've seen people in here maxing out all the voltage settings on these boards without issue so i doubt that was the problem.

you know what i am wondering if when i pulled the cmos i hit one of the SATA cords. just read some more about the specific error message I am getting and most people say it could be related to that. Let me reseat the SATA cable and well see if the problem persists.

yea man i was so nervous, i bet i hit a sata connector when i was resetting cmos.

I am so sorry for your probs though, did you RMA the board or anything?

Yeah, its all taken care of but i'm trying my luck with a P5W DH Deluxe, should be here tomorrow thanks to the great service @ tankguys!!! :)

Back