• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B deluxe not recognizing RAM properly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I started this build using the Corsair twin2x ddr2 800 that I bought for this system. However, when rebooting it would hang at the Asus splash screen; sometimes when rebooting it would hang at the boot screen, sometimes showing 1024mb's of RAM, other times at reboot showing half the correct size. I never could boot(even in safe mode) to the o/s; when loading a fresh install it would hang as well. I pulled the Corsair and threw in a pair of PQI dimm's and the "hanging" problem disappeared, and could even boot into the existing windoze install. However, the amount of RAM only shows half of what it should.

What's going on? A dorky BIOS? This has BIOS v.0302; perhaps I'll flash to the next version if one's available.

Anyone have this problem?

Last edited:
ihrsetrdr said:
I pulled the Corsair and threw in a pair of PQI dimm's and the "hanging" problem disappeared ... However, the amount of RAM only shows half of what it should. ... has BIOS v.0302

There are a few threads regarding memory compatibility problems with current ASUS Intel-DDR2 mobos - ASUS even has a table of "approved" memory vendors and models here.

Sometimes increasing memory voltage helps (my Corsair Valueselect 667MHz defaults to 1.8V, but Corsair recommends 1.9V, for example. Read around a bit & see what you come up with but I am sure you will find a solution :)

btw, I updated to 0507, but installed Windows, etc. using 0302 and had no memory issues, so a BIOS update alone probably won't be the solution (execption seems to be for some specific OCZ sticks).

Traveller said:
There are a few threads regarding memory compatibility problems with current ASUS Intel-DDR2 mobos - ASUS even has a table of "approved" memory vendors and models here.

Sometimes increasing memory voltage helps (my Corsair Valueselect 667MHz defaults to 1.8V, but Corsair recommends 1.9V, for example. Read around a bit & see what you come up with but I am sure you will find a solution :)

btw, I updated to 0507, but installed Windows, etc. using 0302 and had no memory issues, so a BIOS update alone probably won't be the solution (execption seems to be for some specific OCZ sticks).

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out. Since my first post, I had updated to the latest version(0604 I think, am at work so can't check) which did add the multi adjust features but didn''t cure the mem problem.

ihrsetrdr said:
I had updated to the latest version(0604 I think...) ... but didn''t cure the mem problem.
Sorry to hear it because it certainly sounds like ASUS was busy trying to improve memory comatibility:

P5B Deluxe Release BIOS version 0614
1. Support DDR2 double side x16 module
2. Enable support for CPU ratio adjustment on Kentsfield B0 stepping CPU
3. Enable conroe/kentsfield ratio overclocking higher above default value
4. Fix CPU Fan profile mode not correct after system shotdown
5. Enhance memory compatibility for DDR533 and DDR667 modules.
6. Revise S3 fuction not stable when CPU FSB over 300MHz.
7. Enable support for OCZ2G8002GK-6400
8. Fix PCIEX1 will disappear after update beta bios from 0405 to 0507
9. Fix some lock cpu will show "modify ratio "item in bios(ex:660-SL7Z3 3.6GHT PSC800 2M/EM64T 002)
10. Fix some lock cpu frequency not correct when lock free fuction enable(ex:660-SL7Z3 3.6GHT PSC800 2M/EM64T 002)
11. Fix kentsfield L2 cache not correct issue (in bios setup)
12. Fix SATA configuration select disable and compatible mode, and BIOS still show SATA5 and SATA6
13. Update ICH8 Raid option ROM from V6.0.0.1022 to V6.1.0.1002
14. Update Marvell 8001 and 8056 Lan option rom from 5.16.3.3 to 5.17.1.3

ihrsetrdr said:
Thanks for the link, I'll check that out. Since my first post, I had updated to the latest version(0604 I think, am at work so can't check) which did add the multi adjust features but didn''t cure the mem problem.
try clearing bios after flash

I did try clearing bios after flash but no change. when I flashed the bios before, I used the Windows utility; maybe when I get off work I'll try putting it on a pendrive and use the ez flash under tools, in the bios.

I'm pretty much convinced that until Asus releases a bios update to broaden double sided memory support, I'm basically stuck with 2 options:

1. Wait for such a bios update.

2. Just buy dimms that show on the QVL.

Here's an oddity: Even tho' the bios recognizes the memory as only 256mb(as does Windows and SandraLite), cpuz v.1.36 does recognize the 2x512 dimms!

I don't know...

O.K., I've spent all day with this machine, and so here's a summery of what I've done and what I've learned:

The Corsair twin2x ddr2 800 that I bought for this system IS on the Qualified Vendors List. For sure.

Still using bios v. 0614, the bios now does recognize the Corsair twin2x.

But, this machine will NOT boot to my Windows operating system, it will not load any Windows o/s or Linux either, including a Linux live distro, like Knoppix. Period. :confused: I went up and down all sorts of scenarios like, maybe the sata settings are wrong, maybe try a pata hdd, etc etc.

o.k., so much for trying to use the Corsair twin2x.
Oh, I took a pic of the screen showing what happened while attempting a repair install of winn2000:
Screenie pic The display just went crazy as you can see, right when I hit 'enter' for the repair install. ???

My other set of ddr2 dimms is PQI "value" type(no heat sheild) and is 2x512mb pc5300. The BIOS reports a total of 256mb! :rolleyes: However, the machine will boot into Windows(W2K). Of course Windows(Properties/General tab) shows 256mb's as well.

Get this: CPUZ(v. 1.36) Detects the 2x512mb dimms!

Well, I've just run fresh out of ideas, I'm done for today. If anyone has any ideas and/or experiences to share, then... I'm-all-ears!

what does it report when you use one dimm? After seeing your pic, I think your board is probably pooped out on you. Have you tested your memory?

geez ... i am sorry to hear of your troubles with this build Tim.

Have you tried that corsair mem in another rig? I don't have any of it or i would throw it in my rig to try.

It sure smells like memory issues ... have you cranked up the volts on the memory? All the mem i have run in the p5b-d has been the old d9 fatbody or the new d9xxx stuff ... so i throw the volts to it. Although i do find the mobo doesn't post reliably if i put max v=2.45 on them ... so i run at 2.4.

Do you have any other mem to try in it?

I was playing with my p5b-d last night ... trying to find its oc limit with water.

Not sure if i experienced the symptoms you did ... but when i tried swapping memory to see if it was limiting my oc (i was trying to get 400 fsb stable), i swapped out some team 667 for some crucial 800. Machine posted and 1 beep, but no display, although the monitor was showing signal. It took about 4 or 5 power ons and me swapping the original mem back in before things would come back. reseated my video also and the video cable.

Seems like bios is remembering the old mem settings/spd? not really sure what triggers or resolves this. Once i got it to post, lowered the fsb to 300, and did the swap again team->crucial with no problems. Didn't help me with my OC though :bang head:

I am running a 605 beta bios i found a few weeks ago.

I have some work to do with the rigs tonight so i will see if i can recreate the scenario.

I don't know if you've seen my "she's NOT dead, Jim" post, but I'm back-in-business...sort of. Actually, I'm back to square one, boots to BIOS with the pc 6400 but won't boot into the o/s. :confused:

Someone suggested setting the mem config manually...tried [auto], [ddr533],[ddr667],[ddr800] etc. I didn't change any timings, figured that was not the issue.

As I mentioned, I had previously installed w2k with the oddball set of pc 4200 I had, and even churned out one WU, a 1495 no less. Pumped it out in a little over 12 hours, everything@ default. Come to think of it, I had my old stick of OCZ in it at the time...none-the-less,the problems do seem to relate to the pc 6400. I bought it from a reputable guy over at 2cpu.com, who had run it in a ds3. I don't know if I should risk testing it in one of my p5ld2's, or maybe?

ihrsetrdr said:
I don't know if I should risk testing it in one of my p5ld2's, or maybe?

It won't work in the p5ld2 ... the vrm spec chaged with conroe , so you need a conroe capable mobo. There were only a few realeased before july - p5w DH, and intel bad axe i think.

The conroe/allendale critters and associated intel chipsets sure are different (and immature) made doubly so since you are workin with an ES. Have you looked over on extremesystems - I recall a lot of activity over there with ES's before they were released.

I hope you can find the secret path thru the maze :)

If you had your original mem working once upon a time, perhaps with a fresh start it will work again. This bios seems to develop a memory that persists across all attempts to reset :bang head: It is mostly only a problem whenever you stray off the silver brick road (as i seem to do regularly) :eek:

Glad to hear it reset for you, but having to leave it overnight does not seem like a very efficient path although it has worked for me when i gave up in frustration :shrug:

Just after my last post I (again) yanked my stick of OCZ gold(ddr2 667) out of one of my p5ld2's and dropped it in the p5b. Square one again. The "press insert" trick didn't even work. Pulled the battery, jumped the cmos and said "adios" since I had to go to work. When I get home tonight I'm hoping that the p5b will once again be ready to boot. If it can boot the o/s, I'll just fold with the single stick until I get a chance to shop for another set of dimms...or until Asus releases another BIOS update. :rolleyes:

Update:

RMA'd Corsair RAM(not work properly in DS3 either); RMA P5B also, other DIMM's not recognized properly even with BIOS v. 0614.

New P5B shipped with BIOS v.0507; new Corsair dimm's arrived. Everything working as one would expect! :attn: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Currently OCing a E6300...at 2414/345 right now...

Glad to hear you finally got resolution on these :)

What a pita to have multiple components bad ... it sure makes it hard to keep what hair we have left when stuff like this make you pull it :bang head:

While it is a learning experience, it is hard to see it as a positive one.

But it is pleasant when you finally get to play with more working toys.

:beer: :beer:

P5B running smooth with the Corsair twin2x ddr2 800; E6300 clocked @2.8ghz and have been folding 2 clients stable, for the past week and a half. This IS the board I was hoping it to be. The hardware issues diminished the excitement and joy at first, but she's sweeet! :D

I need to take the time to bump up the OC a bit; I've heard E6300's can reach 3.4ghz but think temps will be an issue, with my xp-90.

I have that board and that memory and I am able to boot into Windows without any problems. However, I do seem to have a problem getting this memory to run at the spec'd 5-5-5-12 @ 400MHz. Somewhere in between 325 and 350 it won't boot (it worked at 325 and not at 350). If I set bios to use automatic SPD settings, it will boot no problems up to 400, but bios automatically sets the memory to 5-6-5-18 or something like that. It's definitely not 5-5-5-12.

It's been a while since I checked ASUS for updates. Think I'll go check again...

Back