• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB Termination? MCH Voltage? What Does it Mean?! Trying To Push My E6600 Past 2.8Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PiZZaDuDe

FSB Termination? MCH Voltage? What Does it Mean?! Trying To Push My E6600 Past 2.8Ghz

I hope this has not been covered. I have been reading many forums and have seen many references to the terms below. Motherboard manuals are not overly helpful in describing what they acutally do. Websites and forums don't list what they do either or what the benifits are to changing them.

This may sound like a newbie question, but would someone be able to explain what they actually do and maybe give an idea of why increasing or disabling some of the options below may help in overclocking a processor. I am trying to overclock a Conroe E6600 and have been able to go from 2.4Ghz to 2.8Ghz so far, I am sure I could probably go much further with my ASUS P2B if I could get an Idea of what those terms mean :)

FSB Termination Voltage
MCH Chipset Voltage
ICH Chipset Voltage
NB Vcore

Hyper Path 3
DRam Throttling Threshold
C1E Support

I am sure the answer would help many other people who many need clarification of these terms.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Pizzadude.

Last edited:
So no one knows what all of these things mean and do ?????????

FSB Termination Voltage
MCH Chipset Voltage
ICH Chipset Voltage
NB Vcore

Hyper Path 3
C1E Support

PiZZaDuDe said:

FSB Termination Voltage
MCH Chipset Voltage
ICH Chipset Voltage
NB Vcore

Hyper Path 3
C1E Support

OK first off i take it you meant to say Asus P5B... well i have a P5W dh Deluxe.... acording to the manual and my knowlede the MCH voltage is your main northbridge chipset... the one close to the cpu socket with the heatpipe.....

ICH voltage is the I/O controler... aka Southbridge... hence my p5w having an ICH7R controler

as for NB vcore... i cant think of n e thing else on a mobo with the abreviation of NB other than northbridge.... see first paragraph

Fsb termination voltage - i have no clue

Dram throttling threshold..... "disables or sets the DRAM thermal throttling feature..." (asus p5w manual) im guessing the mobo can tell ram temps other than that i have no clue.

Hyperpath 3 seems like some asus feature. and CIE support is something to do with cpu

ANY ways your having trouble gettin above 2.8ghz... that sux cus my E6600 will do 3ghz on stock volts witha 2:3 divider running DDR 1000 ram @ stock volts @ 4-4-4-12 (stock timings)

I can probably guess that the FSB (Front Side Bus) termination voltage is used to terminate signal matching circuit (maybe a resistor) with the FSB termination voltage. Most high performance signals need to be terminated properly to achieve maximum performance and depending on the signal levels, require a termination voltage. In some cases this can be ground and some cases it requires a voltage either positive or negative. Raising or lowering this termination voltage will affect performance but of course going too low, or too high will reduce performance. Without knowing specific details, one would have to experiment with the settings. I hope this helps a little.

PiZZaDuDe said:

FSB Termination Voltage
MCH Chipset Voltage
ICH Chipset Voltage
NB Vcore

Hyper Path 3
C1E Support

Having just installed a P5W64 WS Pro I had the same question as the OP. In the event you did not get an answer to your question I will quote FCG from XtremeSystems. Here is the link to the entire thread. This is the BEST explanation I was able to find.

freecableguy said:
source -> line -> component -> short line -> termination

the "lines" in this case are signal traces. works a lot like a SCSI bus. high speed switching operations can cause reflections on the line (in essence, this is resonant noise caused from high-speed switching on the lines as the memory controller gates on and off to place data on the bus, nothing more than rising and falling voltages). clearly enough, the faster the signal switches (higher frequency memory) the more noise.

termination resistors, used in passive termination environments, are exactly matched to the target frequency for operation based largely on trace length, ESR (equivalent series resistance) and the over capactive/inductive nature of the circuit, as well as some other things well out of the scope of this post. problem is that this is often matched for a specific frequency...which as we know is not so cool for overclockers. enter the active termination system. this actually uses a voltage bias to set final line resistance value so that the user can tune for better operation when overclocking.

this method of tuning is largely trial and error as you have no way of know the specification of the circuit or have any idea of the calculations need to find the "perfect" value. so anway, the answer is, strangely enough, whatever works best. :)

hope this helps. :toast:

FCG

Having just installed a P5W64 WS Pro I had the same question as the OP. In the event you did not get an answer to your question I will quote FCG from XtremeSystems. Here is the link to the entire thread. This is the BEST explanation I was able to find.

Nice find! That shall go into my sig.

OK first off i take it you meant to say Asus P5B... well i have a P5W dh Deluxe.... acording to the manual and my knowlede the MCH voltage is your main northbridge chipset... the one close to the cpu socket with the heatpipe.....

ICH voltage is the I/O controler... aka Southbridge... hence my p5w having an ICH7R controler

as for NB vcore... i cant think of n e thing else on a mobo with the abreviation of NB other than northbridge.... see first paragraph

Fsb termination voltage - i have no clue

Dram throttling threshold..... "disables or sets the DRAM thermal throttling feature..." (asus p5w manual) im guessing the mobo can tell ram temps other than that i have no clue.

Hyperpath 3 seems like some asus feature. and CIE support is something to do with cpu

ANY ways your having trouble gettin above 2.8ghz... that sux cus my E6600 will do 3ghz on stock volts witha 2:3 divider running DDR 1000 ram @ stock volts @ 4-4-4-12 (stock timings)
C1E support is a powersaving feature isn't it?

it reduces your CPu Multi by 2 so you save power.
eg. my e6400 which is 8x425 (3.4ghz)
when idling, it goes to 6x425 (2.55ghz)
you get lower temps as well :)

EDIT: my gosh, what an old thread :santa:

Back