• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5B or Gigabyte 965P-DS3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DS3
It has 6 or 8phase power for cpu vs just 4phase on the P5B. Although it would be a tough call if prices are the same then not really a tough call, still the DS3. While both are ocing the same the ds3 has more features for the price vs the P5B.

Rattle said:
lol I thought it was the other way around completely, the ds3 has 6 phase and the P5B has 8
the p5b-dlx had 8phase yes the plain P5B has 4phase, unless someone said it wrong on another forum from comparing the 2.

*edit*
well after looking at the mobo's from pics on newegg... looks like the p5b plain has 6 phase and ds3 has 4, i thought the ds3 had ich8r but i was wrong. well in this case its up to you but the ds3 with the right ram seems to oc slightly higher... i guess im going to have to change after looking and say nab the P5B.

Maybe it will be for quad core...then again by the time that matters there will be other new chipsets and lots of other new stuff too.

MadMan007 said:
Maybe it will be for quad core...then again by the time that matters there will be other new chipsets and lots of other new stuff too.

If your really intrested in getting a board that can overclock kents I would suggest the P5B-Deluxe or one of the worksation boards.
If you just getting a C2D OCing board, the P5B-E would do fine.

What BIOS are the P5B Dlx boards shipping with now?

I sold off my 805D so I will need Conroe support right out of the box.

@Mark099.. sorry for the delay man.. the P5B-Dlx is a 965 motherboard, its native C2D compatable (its the first chipset made for C2D) all the bios for it support them.
You will want to update the bios when you get it, but it will boot a C2D out of the box no prob.

greenmaji said:
@Mark099.. sorry for the delay man.. the P5B-Dlx is a 965 motherboard, its native C2D compatable (its the first chipset made for C2D) all the bios for it support them.
You will want to update the bios when you get it, but it will boot a C2D out of the box no prob.

Thanks for the input.

I still haven't made a purchase. I just ordered some Mushkin PC2-6400, but I haven't got a CPU yet either.

The early bios had some flakeyness with ram timings and settings.
And the bios doesn't have dividers it has multipliers from the base FSB, that alone can be confusing.
I'm not sure what d94's problem was unless he had some OCZ or higher cas DDR2 that didn't want to clock on it.
I still don't like the DS3 for lacking the ICH8R southbridge :mad:

Back