• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B deluxe dead...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Alright, now I have a really serious issue...appears to be DEAD. It was running fine with one stick of OCZ, not yet oc'd but folded one 1495 wu in 12 hours and returned results. I tried to add a stick of pqi but it wouldn't boot the o/s. Pulled the pqi out, changed some settings in the BIOS, hit save & exit and have not gotten a display since. :bang head I've jumped out the cmos several times and tried to bleed off any residual current by pressing the power button(with psu unplugged) but so far no luck.:shrug:

Any other tricks I might have missed?

What is happening exactly? Does it power up but no post beep? If so, turn it off for 8~10 hours and it will post fine. And when it happens again, turn it off for ANOTHER 8~10 hours and it will post fine. All kidding aside though, this has happened several time to me so this board is going back. I have no idea what is going on with this thing, one time i set everything back to default, rebooted and i got nothing. I tried it the next morning and it was fine like nothing ever happened. :shrug:

Yes, it powers up, led on cd drive flickers for a bit...no beep or display. I also tried taking the battery out, put it back in. Tried pressing/holding down insert key while booted(suggested by someone on another forum), no go.

:confused:

Believe me, this has been happening to me since i got this board. I pulled the cmos battery and put the jumper on clear for a couple of hours and i still got nothing. I waited until the next morning and BEEP, fired right up. This happened about 4 times with the same results. Request an RMA and save yourself a lot of grief.

you might also try pulling the cpu out n addition to memory.

I have had some similar experiences with conroe mobo's ... can't remember if i had this with the p5b-d ... or ds3 ... :shrug:
these are the 2 i have played with the most so guessing it was one of them.

Well, I pulled the battery, have the cmos pins shorted, took the processor and the mem sticks out...will let sit overnight and see what happens, in the morning.

Subscribed.........I have one in the same situation. Mine has been setting for a few days now so I'm trying to get energetic and put the P5B back in. Other than my P5B suddenly stop working, my P5B-D and e6300 just kills my P5W DH & e6700 in both speeds and stability. I miss my P5B.

ihrsetrdr said:
Yes, it powers up, led on cd drive flickers for a bit...no beep or display. I also tried taking the battery out, put it back in. Tried pressing/holding down insert key while booted(suggested by someone on another forum), no go.

:confused:

dang if i could only remember what happens when it does this.
it ACTS like the PCIE card is not being INITed , if i remember right this happens from a to high overclock. which really wasnt to high.
i Had indeed locked the pic-e buss down to 100, but then there is that other button, the LINK button in the bios.
ATI says that unless the "LINK" is on SLOW, its not normal (not that ATI could be concidered normal to begin with :)

so mess with your link, which of course you cant, because you still cant see nothing. so turn off the power supply switch. not just the front power button, disconnect entirly the power, then press the power button.
wait untill the capacitors in the PSU are empty, no LED showing on the motherboard and all. 0 Power of any type.
this last act of frustration, done once or twice, will reset the CMOS, which is easier than clearing the RTC.
Although clearing the RT should work too, but make sure all the power is gone, the batt shouldnt matter, and after all the batteries &#%&$ location, is just forcing you to re-seat and cause more problems for the video.

THere is at least one thing you would like to know, IT IS FIXABLE, been there done that about 3 times so far.

What it acted like to me was EVERYTHING was running peachy keno, i just couldnt see anything.
also, remember that a lot of video cards, have 2 connections, for example i am temporarily using the VGA out on a DVI duel. so mabey SOME output had a view on it, just not the one i was connected to.

and you removed the video card, to get to the batt, did you remember to reconnect the extra power cord to the video card?

The only other thing i could figure was that i had gone blind :) but i could see the computer well enough to toss it out the window :) persistance will pay off.

there is a switch in the bios to force INIT of the PCI-e after standby or something?? i donno, but it may or may not be assistance in this respect.

Last edited:
This morning I put everything back together, powered it up and, no beep no display...nothing. I'm boxin' it up and sending it back. I don't know if I really want a replacement, since this board is such a problem child. It might be worth the 15% restock fee to go with another board, I don't have time for this type of stuff; never did really get to OC much, just trying to get the DIMMs I bought(that are on the QVL list) to work!

Thats too bad ihrsetrdr, I thought for sure it would boot this morning. A lot of people are getting pretty good results with them, but I bailed out on the board myself and I'm going to try the P5W DLX.

Psycogeec said:
...it ACTS like the PCIE card is not being INITed , if i remember right this happens from a to high overclock.

In this setup I was just using a cheapie TNT pci card; there's always the possibility that the card went south, but from the start I made sure the pci clock was locked @33mhz, so I doubt that the TNT got borked. I still do not understand why my set of Corsair cm2x dimms would not allow boot to the o/s; a cheap pair of pqi pc4200(which is not on the QVL) would boot just fine to the o/s, as would a single stick of ocz26672048elge(also not on QVL).

@dylskee, I'll have to take a peek at the P5W DLX and some other "Conroe ready" boards. Maybe I'll just wait a month or two and let all of these boards mature.

:rolleyes:

I have an issue with no video post sometimes after messing with bios(Usually pretty rarely). I do not know the exact science to it, but figured out how to fix my problem:

1) Turn my monitor off
2) Turn the psu switch on the back off
3) Turn my surge protector off (Computer and Monitor attatched to it)
4) Wait 5-10 secs
5) Turn on surge protector then monitor
6) Turn on computer

Doesn't really take me that long, but fixes my no video post problems.

Update:

It's alive!!!

I just got an email informing of a reply to a post here, which suggested pressing/holding the Insert key while booting(AMD/nforce trick) which I had already tried, but I tried it again this morning and it worked!!! :clap:

Things I did:

1.took out battery
2. set jumper to "clear"
3. Removed processor from socket
4.Removed dimms
5. Let sit overnight
6. pressed/held Insert key on reboot

O.K.! No RMA! :D

now we just need to know which 1 or combo of those things really cleared it :D

ihrsetrdr said:
1.took out battery
2. set jumper to "clear"
3. Removed processor from socket
4.Removed dimms
5. Let sit overnight
6. pressed/held Insert key on reboot

O.K.! No RMA! :D
So your going to continue to do this regement after playing in the bios each time? This happened to me 4 times in a week and it was HOURS before it would boot again, seems like an annoying problem to me that warrants an RMA, no?

not sure an rma for the same mobo would get rid of the problem if we don't know what the root cause is or a reliable workaround... :shrug:

I'll still keep the RMA thing as an option if such continues. I'm hoping Asus will continue to work on updated BIOS versions for this board.

I'm going to contact Asus and describe my problem; don't know if they'll give me a coherent solution, but at least they'll have one more person telling them that their work is not finished yet! ;)

Last night I figured I'd at least try to OC this puppy, but what-ever the issue is with the memory controller(BIOS or maybe hardware-related?) I don't get very far before I have to pull battery/reset jumper/wait a few minutes and press "insert" to get back up. This is getting OLD real quick! :shrug:

I decided to just let it run a day or two at stock settings and pick up a couple more fAh wu's. Even at stock and just 1 stick of ram, it folds 2 wu's decently.

screenie

My options look like this:

A. Flash to an earlier bios and hope it solves the mem issue.
B. Wait for a bios update and hope that solves the problem
C. Sell off this set of dimms and buy another set that the majority of people are having no problems with.
D. Do an RMA-replacement or an RMA-refund and get on with life.
E. C & D above
F. Just run it at stock and pretend that it's just and "up-scale" pent. D rig.
<sigh>

Sigh, i am going through the same scenario.

1. Push power button,
2. Restart once as usual
3. Nothing else, WTF?

I am going to sent it back for a full refund. and try abit mobo.

I'm going to keep this board for a while, hoping that an updated BIOS will come along soon. If not, I'll get a different set of dimms.

For the short term, I've ordered a ds3, which is what my pair of Corsair
cmx2512a-6400 had been running in. The ds3 won't be able to handle a Kentfield, but the p5b deluxe "should".

Back