• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5B Deluxe - which RAM slots for dual channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanIdentity

Hey guys, I'm building my system w/ the P5B-D and I'm not sure which RAM slots I should be using for dual channel.

I have two sticks of RAM.

The manual says: "You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the dual-channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel is then mapped for single-channel operation."

This makes it sound like I should be putting my two sticks in one channel, i.e. one in a yellow slot and one in a black slot. But I always thought you're supposed to match the colors, i.e. both sticks in yellow slots.

Any help would be greately appreciated. Thanks!

Doesnt really matter as long as you stay with matched colors i.e. yellow and yellow, or black and black

Not a big deal really. BTW, what ram do you have ?

Hey guys, I noticed the same thing. I went ahead with both yellows and have been OK thus far. I am running Corsair XMS 5,5,5,12 I think it is. PC 800 stuff, I should hve done more research; however, my work machine was on the fritz so I made my choice hastily. Pretty happy so far though with the Asus. I honestly was waiting for the Abit mobo to come out.....naturally it was for sale a day after mine arrived. :beer:

DanIdentity said:
How is it working out for you?
Not bad but first I have to find some stable cpu settings.

So far Memtest stable I didn't push further becasue that's the memory ratio that is needed from my cpu to be stable

394 3-3-3-11 2.35v
438 4-4-4-12 2.15v
492 4-4-3-12 2.35v

Back