• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista still sucks for games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bender said:
Win 98se was faster in just about everything.
That still sounds funny no matter how you say it.

problems in the new operating system are quite expectable at the current stage of its development, but this is only a temporary thing. Bugs will be eliminated, stability will be raised to the necessary level, and the hardware requirements will become more modest than today when a lot of OS components aren’t yet polished off
That is about the most truthful statement that I have ever seen in a beta review. Not only is Vista still in beta stage, but also the drivers being used to test with.

Last edited:
I don't think Vista will be that popular. There's no BIG difference between XP and Vista. Mostly from what I've seen I can get Vista in a theme pack. I won't be going Vista for atless the first year or two.

In all honesty I am not totally convinced Vista will every be faster than XP for games. The amount of security and the resources the Vista OS requires to run will slow down almost any game..

Time will tell I guess, but MS put all their eggs into one basket with Vista and now its just overloaded with crap most people dont want or need. That in itself just slows things down..

ShawnTRD said:
I don't think Vista will be that popular. There's no BIG difference between XP and Vista. Mostly from what I've seen I can get Vista in a theme pack. I won't be going Vista for atless the first year or two.

Popular? This the Microsoft we are talking about here. Once Vista comes out EVERY OEM computer maker (Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, everyone else) will have Vista in their systems. There's no doubt about that. Dell is already saying some of it's systems are "Vista compatible".

Wheather we like it or not, Vista will be popular.

jcw122 said:

I believe it will be popular in the mainstream sense. But for us enthusiasts, I don't think it will take off very fast. Unless microsoft really improves the amount of resources it uses (it may or may not, it's microsoft so that ones in the air).

For reference both 98se and Windows 2000 is still faster than Windows XP in many ways. Less resource intensive.

i can see many of the enthusiasts sticking with XP for a while, but guaranteed you will all be on vista by then end of 2007,

with little or no more programs being made for XP, vista will suck terribly at first much like XP, but we can only hope the service packs and updates will make it bearable.

XP SP2 owns, sp1 was a ok and XP was a drag. but it beats using win98 hands down.

What i don't understand is how using vectors made it worse on performance, vectors are much smaller then bit maps, especially is u use the same one repeating over a large area. So the Vista programmers are definently doing something incorrect there.

an example of this would be using flash over a gif, the flash typically looks better and is smaller thanks to vectors, the gif is clucnky larger and slower.

So go figure huh?

jcw122 said:
Popular? This the Microsoft we are talking about here. Once Vista comes out EVERY OEM computer maker (Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, everyone else) will have Vista in their systems. There's no doubt about that. Dell is already saying some of it's systems are "Vista compatible".

My bad. I forgot that people but pre-made computers.

I'm thinking of going back to 2k. Vista is just.... eh... directx 10 seems like the only real reason to use vista. I just hope it comes to xp/2k.

Sorry dx10 will never come to XP/2k, it physically is built into Vista, it will never be able to run on the on older OS's.

Sorta like saying you wish you could put your brain in another body and have it work flawlessly and better.

Enough pressure from users and MS might rethink that and release DX10 for XP/2K. Didn't they originally say that they were releaseing a last version of DX9 for XP with the same functionality as DX10 in Vista? At least I seem to remember reading something to that extent.

The only reason I installed XP finally on my home machine last month was because I couldn't find my 2K disk. It was in the basement.

Anyway, thats a very nasty performance hit. As for games being only made for vista...any developer planning on doing that is planning financial suicide. Vista only games aren't going to be coming out any time soon, with the probably exception of microsoft titles. Of course, they're a bit biased.

Ugh, I'm not installing that just for DX10. They say DX10 is suppose to run so much faster then DX9 because it dumps some legacy code or something, blah, blah, blah...well it looks like any performance advantage it offers its going to be wiped out by the fact the OS it runs on it a huge turd. I'm already becoming pretty disenchanted with PC gaming lately, but this is just retarded. I'm tired of being fed poo and being told its ice cream.

Bad Maniac said:
For reference both 98se and Windows 2000 is still faster than Windows XP in many ways. Less resource intensive.

And DOS 6.2 is faster than all versions of Windows. It has no GUI overhead and uses virtually no memory.

People said the same things about Win95 - that it would suck for gaming (compared to DOS). And they were right... for about six months. Then Win95-only games started coming out that blew away everything from the DOS days.

Every OS cycle adds more bloat, but the hardware is always able to catch up - if not absorb the overhead right from launch. It won't be any different with Vista. People will complain (are already complaining even) about how slow it is. But by the time it becomes the mainstream OS (which is inevitable) that won't be the popular opinion anymore. It will be if your machine runs Vista too slowly then it's time for a hardware upgrade.

Until Microsoft or someone out there in the world finds a way to stop TCPA and DRM, I wont even touch Windows Vista with a 50 foot pole. But to add fuel to the fire, the idea of Direct X 10 having exuberant power requirements is a major turn off for me.

http://xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/vista-performance-preview_13.html said:
Even without the results of the gaming tests it is clear that Windows Vista Beta 2 is too “raw” a product to be used for everyday activities. Well, its Beta status doesn’t promise anything. The problems in the new operating system are quite expectable at the current stage of its development, but this is only a temporary thing. Bugs will be eliminated, stability will be raised to the necessary level, and the hardware requirements will become more modest than today when a lot of OS components aren’t yet polished off.

Windows Vista Beta 2 can’t be used for playing games because it is just incompatible with many titles and leads to a considerable performance hit in others. This is at least true for the currently available beta version of ATI’s graphics card driver. Windows Vista allows using the ordinary driver, written in the Windows XP framework (XPDM), but that driver does not have even the basic support for WGF and does not allow using such a key innovation of Vista as the Aero interface. It means that gaming tests in Windows Vista with old drivers wouldn’t be adequate.

By the time the final version of Windows Vista is released, most of the compatibility issues will have been corrected and new drivers will have been written to solve the problem with performance in games. We will see all this in the future, perhaps not a very distant future. Beta versions of Windows Vista suit only for us to become a little familiar with Microsoft’s new operating system. And we shouldn’t fall into the mistake of making any final conclusions out of this preliminary experience. As soon as games that demand WGF support to run appear, the transition of gaming platforms to Windows Vista will be inevitable. But so far, Windows XP is the main OS for gaming platforms and will remain such for quite a long while yet.

Drivers, drivers, drivers...

My school got over 200 new computer for some of the labs this summer, all of them have (Designed for Windows Xp - Windows Vista Compatible) badges. I would only assume they plan on upgrading or else why bother getting a system that could even support it. Thats another huge market alot of people are forgetting.

Back