• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-965P-S3 vs GA-965G-DS3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JackNSally

What are the main differences between these two besides the ds3 has onboard video? I have read all the rave remarks on the oc'ing of the ds3, but, what about the s3?

EDIT: I see now there is a GA-965P-DS3 which has no onboard video...
but still my main question is what is the difference between the s3 and the ds3?

Last edited:
Onboard IGP severly limits the front side bus overclockablity. ~370 rather then 500+

ok, but, still, what are the differences between the s3 and ds3...besides the ds3 having solid caps? Overclockability?

solid capacitors will help last longer in overclock environment i think. The capacitors help make it more durable

I have seen the s3 go just as far if not farther than the DS3 unmodded. With solid caps it shouldn't really be an issue unless you plan on having a heavy duty overclock for 3+ years

The two motherboards are nearly identical in specs. other then the DS3 having solid capasitors.
The solid capasitors only have longer service life, wich is rather long for decent capasitors anyway.

They overclock about the same and the S3 costs less.

I like it for a folding or rendering layer; for my main rig, workstation or server I would want the ICH8R (or ICH7R) southbridge rather then the ICH8, mmmmm matrix raid.

Attachments

• DS3vsS3.jpg
    DS3vsS3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 841
The DS3 and the S3 is about $40 difference, why would anyone pay that just to have solid state capicators, I mean most of us will upgrade once every 3 years anyways... Besides, the mobo has a 3 year warranty, if it does indeed leak/break within 3 years, it would be repaired for free...

Now, I'm curiouse on why the S3 can't oc to 500mhz but the DS3 can.. (965P not 965G)

Also, is there a difference in overclocking between the DS3-965P and the DS3-965G ?

Hc000 said:
The DS3 and the S3 is about $40 difference, why would anyone pay that just to have solid state capicators, I mean most of us will upgrade once every 3 years anyways... Besides, the mobo has a 3 year warranty, if it does indeed leak/break within 3 years, it would be repaired for free...

Now, I'm curiouse on why the S3 can't oc to 500mhz but the DS3 can.. (965P not 965G)

Also, is there a difference in overclocking between the DS3-965P and the DS3-965G ?
g965 has onboard video so i think for that reason alone it wont oc the same. i could be wrong but i havent seen anyone using the 965g-ds3.

I think the question was.. "Why cant the GA-965P-S3 overclock to 500mhz+ FSB like the GA-965P-DS3 can"

I'm not sure what the average stock overclock for either is, other then I have seen stock (no hard or cooling mods performed) GA-965P-DS3's overclock to 520FSB+

I'm not sure if the FSB is quite as high with the GA-965P-S3 or if its just close.
However.. speed bump says that the GA-965P-S3 does perform well from other posts that he has seen.

btw.... The GA-965G-DS3 in the title of the thread is a mistake and I pointed out the difference in post #4 so that should be a non-issue by now ;)

Just trying to tie this thread together.. it was looking confusing at first read ;)

Last edited:
greenmaji said:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2848&p=2

Not according to the latest information, that I know of.
Nearly all 965 and 975 chipset mobo's that work with C2D are listed.
all will yes but the main problem for the mobo is the power phase for quad core. take the p5b/p5b-e both can use the quad core but the lower phase power will be like the difference of northwoods vs preshotts on skt478 in relation to how the pwm's stand up to the added power stress.

I just upgraded the bios on a S3 and the bios said it was an upgrade to take quad cores.

I can't find the memory timings control on the S3 bios though, It may be that I am just retarded, but I don't see them.

On DS3 you have to press CTRL+F1 (in the main BIOS menu) to unlock advanced features (memory timings and voltages).

Back