• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D975XBX 1333 Strap and CPU Voltage Issues.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RickShelton

Registered
I have noticed on my bad axe board with 1333 strap and any voltage over default, if I load certain programs (Everest and Sandra) and read the sensor info from the board it will reboot. When it comes back up it goes back to 1066 and 1.30 volts on the cpu, the only way i can get it back is to power off the system and unplug it for a few minutes.
Anyone else have this happen?
Rick

1333 strap has never worked right on this board yet...the memory dividers are all messed up as well...I don't think they plan on fixing it until Kentsfield is released...

I've been running 1333 strap for 2 weeks now, and haven't had any problems. Allows me to keep the memory ratio 1:1, 533 ram setting with corsair xms2 6400. I don't know why some people have problems with it while others don't.

6400 @ 3.46 ghz
975xbx rev 304 430 fsb @1333 strap.

What BIOS are you using???

Also 533 mem setting shouldn't be 1:1 on the 1333 strap... 667 should be 1:1 memory setting...I haven't tried BIOS 1378 that came out on 9/11/06, but 1351 did nothing for me

I am using the latest one (1378) and I have not noticed an improvement.
Here is something I added to the northbridge heatsink. I found a "new" old socket 370 cpu cooler and robbed the fan off of it, It has cooled the NB down considerably.
DSCF0279.jpg

I still have the resetting of the Voltage back to default issue.

You may want to take it off and replace the thermal pad with some good (non-conductive) thermal paste as well...

I'm not sure what to tell you about the voltage resetting problem...does it do it at 1066 strap and +50% ???

Yes, I have my voltage set @ 1.45 and I can go into Sandra and under Hardware click on the Mainboard icon and it resets the computer and when it comes back up the voltage is back to 1.3 although it still set @ 1.45. Tried all bios and still the same. 1333 or 1066
This is my first Intel MB since 1994, which I paid $1100 for a P90 and Intel Triton MB. :rolleyes:

Well, I don't use Sandra at all (haven't liked it for years now, just doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be as far as compatability)... So the computer is resetting only when you click that icon, and then the voltage gets bumped back down...

What if you set the voltage...boot into Windows... surf, play some games, then shut down and do a cold boot without any crashes...does the voltage stay where you set it???

Rocinante said:
Well, I don't use Sandra at all (haven't liked it for years now, just doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be as far as compatability)... So the computer is resetting only when you click that icon, and then the voltage gets bumped back down...

What if you set the voltage...boot into Windows... surf, play some games, then shut down and do a cold boot without any crashes...does the voltage stay where you set it???

Yes and and it stays at where I set it. System is completely stable, SuperPi and orthos for hours.

http://www.zalmanusa.com/

zm_nbf47_eng.jpg

RickShelton said:
Yes and and it stays at where I set it. System is completely stable, SuperPi and orthos for hours.

Must be something with the way Sandra interacts with the BIOS then...I would just find another program to do what you want, and stop using Sandra...:)

Man that would look nice with the blue flame heatsinks on the MOSFET's...but I water cool, so I need an active northbridge cooler...

Rocinante said:
Must be something with the way Sandra interacts with the BIOS then...I would just find another program to do what you want, and stop using Sandra...:)

Man that would look nice with the blue flame heatsinks on the MOSFET's...but I water cool, so I need an active northbridge cooler...

Which water cooling setup do you have, or is it a custom job? Also is there a trick to getting the N/B sink off? I released the metal hold down but I could not get the Black plastic retainer off (was afraid I would break it).
Thanks

I use a Swiftec 12 volt Pump (the big one, 1/2"), and Storm waterblock (had to trim the AMD top mounting hole to clear the flame MOSFET heatsink) bayres resevour and ProCool single 120mm rad...

The plastic clips need to be rotated away from the heatsink using the loops as the pivot points...I had to bend the aluminum fins a bit to get the top part of the plastic clips to release, but it bends back easily

Back