• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Same problems with 6.9 drivers as 6.8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MustangX

Registered
Whenever I play a game, such as Counter-Strike: Source, after a few short minutes of gameplay the game ends up freezing and me having to reboot. The only drivers that seem to work for me are the 6.7 Catalyst drivers. Any suggestions or help? Computer specifications are listed below.

Yes, I unistalled the original drivers. Then I went into safe mode and ran the Cab Cleaner and the Driver Cleaner. I then restarted and installed both my display drivers and my Catalyst Drivers but to my dismay it still did the same thing.:bang head Would it happen to be that I only have .Net 2.0 installed and not both 1.1 and 2.0?

Sorry for the double post. Instead of editing my last post I figured I'd just ask this question here. My fps doesn't go above 75 and I have Vertical Refresh turned off, is there any reason to this?

I dont play CS:S but from what I have read, there is a console command to remove the framerate cap, whatever it is.

You should be able to install the display driver with either version of .NET installed, it is mainly for the CCC, not the driver itself. Have you tried installing the display driver only (ie. no CCC or WDM) and see if that works? :shrug:

ive had the same problems as well... 6.7 seems to work like a champ, but no matter what 6.8-6.9 crash after awhile of gaming

Is your card overclocked? The 6.9 Killed my oc on one of my x1800xt's. I flashed the bios back to default and it works like a champ now.

If you are overclocked/using ATI-Tool, make sure the ATI services like ativxx are completely disabled (via msconfig or services.msc). Also, once you start the game, I think your cards are reverting back to 2D settings, causing the game to crash. Check that on ATI-Tool by Alt+Tabbing out of the game. If it has indeed gone 2D, set the clocks back to 3D and alt+tab back into your game.

i clean my computers out once a month with a large air compressor, my card is not overclocked, but 6.8 and 6.9 DO NOT WORK with my games for some reason.. i get blue screens, desktop crashes and lockups in bf2 and cod2

Super Nade said:
If you are overclocked/using ATI-Tool, make sure the ATI services like ativxx are completely disabled (via msconfig or services.msc). Also, once you start the game, I think your cards are reverting back to 2D settings, causing the game to crash. Check that on ATI-Tool by Alt+Tabbing out of the game. If it has indeed gone 2D, set the clocks back to 3D and alt+tab back into your game.

My video card isn't overclocked to the least bit. Also, do I still have to disable ativxx, if not that then anything else? If my video card is reverting back to the 2D settings how could I change it back to 3D, is there an option in the Catalyst?

I had recenty posted in Power Supplys over a odd crash problem I was having. I could run EQ2 for days no crashes or lock up in minutes in a row. Very random and erratic in how it was freezing.
I had 6.8 before, decided to eliminate software possibilitys from a 2 year old PC, formated new with 6.9. Crash problems continued.
Since I had been using 6.8s for days before the crashing began, I never considered it even a possibility.

I saw this post Monday and began to wonder. So I driver cleaned , installed 6.7 drivers.
5 days now 24/7 kept in game to test. No crashes, rock solid stability like I had the 2 previous years.
Both the 6.8 AND 6.9 were definately the issue on my PC for a 9700 pro video card not over clocked.

Oh and a thanks for MustangX for posting the issue in the first place. You saved me some bucks trying to troubleshoot.

Welcome aboard Krygon and thanks for helping out the community. I also had issues with the 6.8 release and had to roll back to 6.7

No problem Krygon. It seems as if since it's this many people that the problem must be in the coding on ATi's side. Perhaps the best thing to do will be to just wait until 7.0.

Back