• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5B Deluxe Quirks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxxoverclocker

anyone had any odd problems w/theirs? i know and experience the double boot, but thats no biggie. but i got my pc rock solid stable @ 3.3ghz dual primed for 3 hours and no hardware failures, and i turned off the pc so that the as5 could set in and in the morning the pc wouldn't post.... :rolleyes: so i shut off the power so the crash free takes effect posts; says oc failed i go yeah yeah and just oc it again. but to my suprise.. no post again... so (being it was 5:45am) i took one more chance let the crash free take over again. and lowered my fsb oc from 367 to 366 and guess what... it posted :bang head then i went into bios and ocd it to 367 and it works fine... any ideas as to why if its left off for 6 hours + it just doesnt post @ my settings? thx

dual boot is normal. I read it here somewhere. but yeah, i'm having strange problems with this board too. out of the box it wont do anything higher than 372, i flashed and got to as high as 465. After like a week it decided not to post and now after a few days i'm back at 465 with the same hardware and a much tighter timing.

maxxoverclocker said:
any ideas as to why if its left off for 6 hours + it just doesnt post @ my settings? thx

Because it feels neglected and unloved, don't leave it off for so long. :D j/k

I have heard of others that have had boot or reboot issues and I will venture to guess it is probably ram related somehow.

Try going up a notch on ram voltage or NB voltage and see if that helps.

yeah i posted in another thread about my ... odd board. if u up the ram voltage any more it gets unstable, which i can understand. but if i up my nb or fsb voltage any higher; it refuses to boot... man this is an odd board

I haven't given up, just got to the last strand of patience with this board; will be recieving a replacement in a week or so. Has anyone tried the latest BIOS (beta, I think) as mentioned in this p5b thread at Anandtech?

maxxoverclocker said:
yeah i posted in another thread about my ... odd board. if u up the ram voltage any more it gets unstable, which i can understand. but if i up my nb or fsb voltage any higher; it refuses to boot... man this is an odd board

Not odd, it just has character. :D

What bios are you using? What kind of power supply are you using?

maxxoverclocker said:
i turned off the pc so that the as5 could set in
Quite the opposite. You want the CPU as hot as possible to get the thermal paste to set in.

maxxoverclocker said:

I think there is a PRE-Post testing going on, that might esplain why it doesnt get far, why it doubble boots after a change, and why it comes up blank till a reset. as if it tests everything you set to make sure it can post and go to the bios. righ there if its to high, it Pre-Post Crashes :) but hey lucklily it comes back around without tearing the puter back apart.

how are they supposed to "CPR" if they dont know its dead ? its all rather odd to me, INITing the system 2 times, seems to be harsh on everything, but mabey some of it is to "stagger" the init better, but it seems like it just makes init worse. the PSU only really has to WORK hard on init, and it doesnt seem to improve any stagger. unless the fans and hard drives still have some "momentum" going. after all motor starts, and capacitor filling is the hard initial hit. i donno, just glad it kinda works.

i got the 6600 thing to, and am happy running a 370 speed setting, and Stock cooler, and no voltage adjusting. but then i dont really overclock, i will tweak it up a bit where it retains stabillity.
there is some automated voltage adjusting going on with the AUTO mode, and the scaling stuff too.

ya know the thing sleeps soooo well now, with throteling scaling and napping, mabey they didnt test actually turning it off :) oops.

Last edited:
billb said:
Quite the opposite. You want the CPU as hot as possible to get the thermal paste to set in.

hehe well yes but you also need it to cool back down to room temp for it to finish setting in. (multiple heating up and cooling down phases are required for max preformance w/as5)

alright i tweaked and tweaked and upgraded the bios to 701 and here are the results: all the quirks aside from the double boot are now gone, voltage helps my computer oc (and let alone post) and i got passed the 367fsb wall. right now im @ 378fsb 3.4ghz and ram is @ a 4:5 ratio 945mhz 4-4-4-13 :drool: not bad for what i would call value ram :santa: these settings got my superpi down to 14.8s woot!

I would imagine that there will be a P5B-E Dlx coming out soon since Asus replaced the P5B so quick-- I wonder if that'll fix some of the problems you guys seem to be experiencing.

The mobo/bios certainly does have its quirks.

One that i learned (eventually) at least on my mobo/mem combos is that the double reboot goes way if i keep vddr at 2.4V ... if i use max at 2.45V it always double boots. Not sure if it is unique to my mobo, or not ... or the mem i have used (several d9 brands). :shrug:

Well i added a real cpu heat sink to mine (finally) and reset the bridge cooler thing, so it was optimal cooling.
and i couldnt resist to pump it up. even though i am supposed to keep the thing 100% stable under all conditions, i have to find out what MAX is, then move a few steps down from there.

380, ohh this is too cool, so then i thought hey, if i could just make it to an even 100/400/800 it would just sound like it had everything in symetry, even if that doesnt make any difference.

so i go from 380 to 400, and the "STRAP" thing that is discussed elsewhere (that i dont understand) changed.
so the cpu is now another 10% faster, OK that is cool.
BUT
the Raid Speed went to heck.
from cute numbers like 178Max to around 100 instead :-(

some days i wish i knew what i was doing, taking a hit on the HARD DRIVE speed is a total disaster, the Hard drive speeds are one of the worst bottlenecks , other than internet.

so now what? do i now work off this lower "strap" setting, and move on up (400+)till that breaks to find the max?
slower harddrive is unacceptable to ME , no mater how fast the cpu looks

so as you see there is something happening that we cannot see easily, is it the speed of the chipset ?
when people say, there is a problem getting the speeds from 380-400, 399 seems to me to be the max speed of the chipset buss speed thing (Strap???)
so if you just JUMP from the say 375 where it actually is stable and everything is maxxed out, to 400, then the "strap" changes, everything but the cpu slows back down to crud? and you can get there from here, without going through there to get there ???

oh wait, that might be wrong, because the hard drive test requires only 6% cpu and without cpu usage the scaling doesnt occur, and i turned scaling back on.

ahh just read this, mabey they know what it all means
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=478597&highlight=strap
'My system stutters and sputters when I'm at 400 x 6, whereas this completely disappears when I hit 8 x 300."

ditto that, actual OS occurances were much faster with less balking at the 360, than 400, so if overclocking means i gotta ruin my actual speed, then i will either stay lower, or have to learn where the real sweet spot is.

Last edited:
Back