• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Mobo For E6700 ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A-Rapture

Disabled
I am looking at either the ASUS P5W DH Wifi or ASUS P5B DX Wifi ??

Its got to be good for my E6700 and I am only using 1 Video card as I sold my 2x 7800Gt's so a new card has not yet been determined yet as if its going to be ATI or Nvidia.
So maybe if I could get your idea's on this too that would be great!!

I would pick the P5W-DH, the 975x is consiterably faster than the P5B and you won't run out of FSB (They normally top out @ 410 - 420FSB), I doubt you will be running 4.1 / 4.2ghz 24/7 ;).

I personally wouldn't recommend it. Asus has been a rock solid platform for me, I've owned the P4C800-E, P5WD2-NP, P5WD2-P, and the P5W-DH, I have yet to have problems with them :). I don't ever cheap out on my motherboard, because it becomes a pain in the *** in the end.

i agree with ^^^ , i've never liked gigabyte boards before and this generation haven't helped sway me over either.

p5w-dh will max out your 6700 just fine ....or you could look at the p5w64 or p5wdg2-ws pro ....both these boards are 975 chipset also and bit more expensive but workstation class and offer something a little bit different in terms of expansion if you want to go that way.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
I would pick the P5W-DH, the 975x is consiterably faster than the P5B and you won't run out of FSB (They normally top out @ 410 - 420FSB), I doubt you will be running 4.1 / 4.2ghz 24/7 ;).

Not to confuse the situation, but the newer 965 boards are hitting FSB speeds alot higher than 420. The 975s are still faster clock for clock as well, but with the newer bioses and some clever tweaking on the P5B-Dlx the margin isn't much.

I decided to take a gamble and order one of these: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=247113
Since they're supposed to have the new C2 revision of the 965, which is rumored to hit 500Mhz FSB without a voltage boost. (I'd link the post @ XS, but it's down right now.) I just found out, however, that the initial version of the BIOS doesn't have VMCH adjustment and the
VDIMM only goes to 2.1, so I'm not making a real reccomendation for that board until I have a chance to play with it.

Edit: According to AndreYang @ XS, (whom I have no reason to doubt) the P5B-E rev. on the market right now (1.01) is a different hardware design from rev 1.02G. 1.01 will not allow for Vmch manipulation and Vdimm above 2.1v due to hardware design differences.

That being said, it's hard to fault the P5w-DH, that's a very solid board from what I've read, I just don't think the 965 boards are *that* weak.

And oh yeah, that Gigabyte board is supposed to be trash. :D The fixes thread over at XS is filled with crazy problems that I'd never want to have with a mobo.

Edit: Grammar, content

Last edited:
Back