• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hello from Vancouver (by way of Detroit)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jd callow

Good Day,
(The Fluff)
I have been visiting this forum off and on for a while. Prior to posting any questions or making any comments (which I suspect will be few) I thought I’d introduce my self.

I’m short, fat, not much to look at and a geek of sorts since the early 80’s. On the hardware side I have built a few machines and setup a few networks, but I am no expert. In addition to being a geek I’m a moderator at a traditional photography site called apug.org, a photographer, sometime corporate weasel, and a few other odds and ends.

My involvement and knowledge of computers and networks revolves around the periphery of my business pursuits. My competency has generally been sufficient enough for me to build systems (Boxes + SW & HW) and processes (Back-up, system assurance/disaster recovery, service, etc..) suitable for specific business needs/goals (digital imaging and small – under 20 node – development groups).

Every few years I reassign ( give to my wife or use for some other purpose) my main computer and build a new one for myself. My last computer lasted 5 years. I suspect this is a record for me. I will be reusing this box ( 1.5 GHz P4 wiliamette, 1 gig ram) as a Linux server (Apache and MySQL).

My new box is truly new to me. It uses an AMD processor. I’ve never built a box using an AMD, but when I spec’d out the box It came in roughly 200.00 cheaper than a comparable Intel (<2k v. >2.2k) . For the first time since purchasing my first machine I was planning on buying prebuilt. I figured that there was no way I could get under Dell’s pricing. This turned out not to be the case. A comparable Dell would have cost me as much as 3.7k. This assumes my apples can be compared to Dell's oranges.

(The Good’s)
In any event here is the box:
  • MB ASUS M2N32-SLI DLX WIFI AM2
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 2.2GHz
  • CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
  • 2 80 gig WD 3g SATA in Raid 0
  • 4 250 gig WD 3g SATA in Raid 1+0
  • MSI PCI E nVidia 7600GS (I don’t Game)
  • DVDR +/- Dual Layer
  • CDR-W
  • Seasonic 600w PS
  • Windows XP (32)
  • 2 LCD’s 17” and 19”
  • Generic tower with 120mm fans (coolmaster) front and rear, 80mm (arctic chill?) on the side panel.
I’ve had it up and running for about a month and it really seems to be a lovely machine. The plan is to run it like this until Vista 64 hits SP2 and then upgrade the OS, CPU and memory to 4 gig. In addition I plan on picking up a second 7600gs and at least one if not two more LCD’s once the card’s start showing up on *bay for <50.00. My hope is to get 3 to 5 years out of this box

I’ve built ASUS based machines in the past and found them to be really well made easily configured and generally over engineered for workstation duty. On those boxes I’ve played around with overclocking. Being Intel’s, overclocking was pretty straight forward.

(The Meat)
Overclocking on AMD’s is a whole other story. Having the memory controller internal, and the bus speed needing to be @ or around 1k has made this a bit of a daunting task. Currently I am using AI boost to get 2420 MHz (220 x11, FSB 1100). The machine is very stable and not too hot, but hotter than I’d like (cpu 31c/48c MB 34c/38c idle/underload).

After searching the forums (again) I’ll be asking some question about OCing AMDs, Memory settings and cooling.

For now I’ll just say Hello.

Cheers,

jdc

:welcome: To say you found a Home away from Home here applies.
Sounds like you have a nice system going for you, if you get as much time out of this system as the last.

Back