• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DS3, booting but thats all

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
OK I've got two problems. First is that for some reason when I screw my Tuniq Tower 120 down all the way it must be shorting out the board or soemthing because when its tightened, no booting, but fans come on. So right now with the board on its side, and sitting on carb board box, the tuniq tower is only partial screwed in. Any ideas how to correct this?

The second issues is what the title says. It boots, tells me I've got a core 2 duo 1.86GHz, tells me I have either 512Mb or 1 gig of ram (tried both 2 or 1 sticks of ram). It just sits there and does nothing after it tells me I have X amount ram. I have tried having the floppy and IDE drive plugged in and not, cleared cmos both jumper and battery. Tried my 7600GS and then a PCI Geforce 2 GFx. I've done everything I can think of.

Here are my specs:
DS3 (I think F3 bios)
E6300
Tuniq Tower 120
2 x 512mb Team Group 667 (D9's)
7600 GS Gigabyte Silent Pipe
160 IDE HD (master), DVD Burner (slave)
Floppy drive
PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse (I didn't try my wireless combo yet)

What do you guys think? (I'm going to google this now).

Thanks

It locks up because its over heating. The heatsink is definately on wrong. (If I had to make a guess anyways. I am willing to bet thats it tho.... triple and quaddroopledoublerouble check to make sure you have removed the plastic covering from thebottom of the heatsink and also that you have it facing the correct way... Post a pic up if you can...

I'll post a pic shortly.

I don't think its over heating though, unless they run hotter than I know. I ram my LV Xeons for a few days before with the case on its side and just the heat sinks sitting ontop of the CPU's. maybe that is my problem. I'll get pictures, then try using the stock HSF.

Last edited:
Over at Xtremesystems we have all but narrowed it to my PSU. I thought it would have been good enough. So now I'm looking for a new PSU....

Last edited:
did you check under the Tuniq Tower and make absolutely sure there is no plastic cover? ONLY reason I say this is because you did get it working with the stock HSF which implies my 1st impression of it overheating.. I would really take a good look at the Tuniq while its off the CPU and check it out...

I am glad you got it working :) I would suggest not doing ANY oc'ing untill you got a better PSU tho - Last thing you want to have happen is have your PSU take out some components with it when it goes..

i keep thinking about this and to further my thoughts lol

it might not necessarily be that it still has the plastic protective film on it still but I am still confident that its not making contact with the chip and therefor not transfering the heat from the chip to the heatsink.. Inspect HARD CORE the clearence your HSF has....

There is no plastic covering on the tuniq tower.

I'm going to try the tuniq tower again in a little bit. I have also just found out that I've got a stick of bad ram. One of my two sticks will not post at all. When its in, nothing, take it out, and put my other stick in, everything works. Now before I did use only one stick at a time and I alternated them, but still...

Ok, well my problem did not lie only with my bad stick of ram, but also with the tuniq tower. So I'm 6 hours+ Orthos stable on the stock HSF, so I think everything its fine for now (at stock).

Glad you got it going. BTW, my AMS Mercury is still powering my dual Xeon rig rock stable. But if you want to OC your new little beast, you really should get a stronger PSU.

GreenJelly said:
Get Artic Silver Rev 5, and READ the INSTRUCTIONS!

Mike

Still need to get some AS5, but I've got a XP90c and rocking at 450FSB 24/7.

Shelnutt2 said:
Still need to get some AS5, but I've got a XP90c and rocking at 450FSB 24/7.

And so you are writting to this thread because?
I would assume that your machine isnt booting cause you are running a 450 FSB...

You found what the machine is CAPABLE of, now turn it down a bit so that you have a machine in a year or two; also when you run into a problem like this, I start backing off and seeing if the situation improves. Go back to stock settings and see if the machine still has the problem.

Mike

GreenJelly said:
And so you are writting to this thread because?
I would assume that your machine isnt booting cause you are running a 450 FSB...

You found what the machine is CAPABLE of, now turn it down a bit so that you have a machine in a year or two; also when you run into a problem like this, I start backing off and seeing if the situation improves. Go back to stock settings and see if the machine still has the problem.

Mike

Im not triing to be an idiot here... I am guilty of the same type of stupidity... I was running mine at the 318 fsb bellow. It was running Prime and was running memtest no problem. But put in a specific game, and all of a sudden system lock up. Also the Sound Blaster X-Fi Drivers had to be constently re-installed. so I backed it down to 300mhz and it now works without issue.

The X6800 isnt supported by the bios for OCing as much as the other chips. Things will change, but it will take time. I dont got to yank up my speeds... I got a machine that does everything I want it to do.

Take my advice... you got a good chip, brag about what it is CAPABLE of, and not of what it is doing right now. Wait a few years, when you find you need the extra speed:) Then you have a long life chip that also makes you a bit elite. hehe

Mike

GreenJelly, I originally made this post because at first I couldn't get the DS3 to post, but it was a combined problem of a bad ram stick and of the Tuniq tower not playing nice.

If I were not Folding @ Home then I would turn my clocks down but I get well over a 50% boost in production for Stanford at this clock rate.

Back