• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B-Deluxe or DS3 with a Pentium D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Juice_22

Registered
I'm looking to get rid of my ECS P4M800Pro-M. Its too unstable. I was looking to upgrade to a new board. My G/f is getting me the board for my birthday. Which one do you guys recommend, the Asus P5B Deluxe or the Gigabyte DS3? I know these are more geared towards Conroe, but would they overclock well with a Pentium D 930? I would like to be able to upgrade to a quad core chip in the future, assuming these would support it. Otherwise is there any board that would be a better match for my 930? Need Help ASAP! She's planning on picking up the board this weekend.

P5B-dlx has 8phase which is needed big time for ocing "netburst" cores. also has downward ratios for ram if IIRC. DS3 does not have downward ratios for ram.

P5B-Dlx doesn't have downward dividers.. but its a better motherboard then the DS3 all around IMHO.
Stronger storage options, better power management.

Thanks for your opinions. I'm going to order the P5B-eluxe this week through NewEgg. I hope that combination will let me overclock the chip. Plus I just read on Anandtech that this board is Kentsfield ready.

I did read over at the Asus forum that according to CPUZ-Id is reporting the Chipset as G965. I wonder if its a clitch.

I'm sure its a glitch a major company like ASUS cant get away with lying about what chipset it uses. ASUS says it 975X right?

965P

CPUz has been having alot of glitiches prior to the new ver. give him time to work the kinks out.

Forgot to mention that the P5B-Deluxe is one of the only motherboards for C2D that has some memory subtiming options.

Last edited:
Back