• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AB9 hit a wall?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subzero

well i think i hit a wall on my AB9 Pro at 430 FSB. im sure its not a volts problem and im hoping its not a PSU problem and it wouldnt surprise me if it was a cooling problem. im realy hoping this isnt the max my board is gonna do. i run at 430 fsb 24/7 and its stable but when i go to 431 the computer just reboots, when i set it to 431 in bios it hangs on post screen.... soooo what could i do to get past 430??

430FSB.jpg

see i still have the same problem my self if you check my thread below... even with the beta 1.9 floating around when i go to 305mhz i get a instant reboot just like you do.... not sure but it could be heat realated to the chipset as thermal material used is rather thick and kinds like clay. im going to be replacing the chipset sink soon hoping that fixes my fsb problem. I have been stuck with 300fsb since the 1.3 i think or was it 1.2 bios. still no matter what volts same reboot even jumping to 400fsb same. it does look like atm that 430 is max on a lot of boards till a better bios comes out.

o btw download orthos for testing stability since it runs 2 threads at once... your only running one you need to run 2 instances of p95 to stress both cores.

yeh i have orthos and usually run both of them at the same time but in this case just prime 95.

i hope theres another bios for my board at some point and with any luck let me hit 450 FSB but alas ill probably just have to get one of them asus p5b deluxe or what ever it is.

i would say give them some time for the $150 i paid it has alot more features that i can use/will use. It is the first board when 965 was being set wild that has ich8r on it for $150. every other boards was almost $200 give or take that has ich8r.

With my AB9 and E6300, 1.4 bios, I get around 430-445 before hitting a wall (not exactly sure where the wall is - I'm still testing stability). To get from 430 to 445 required more MCH voltage, and I'm having difficulty telling whether its now my ram that has a problem (I think it is), or if the 440-445 area is the motherboards limit.

I've got watercooling, and temps aren't a problem for me.

CamB said:
With my AB9 and E6300, 1.4 bios, I get around 430-445 before hitting a wall (not exactly sure where the wall is - I'm still testing stability). To get from 430 to 445 required more MCH voltage, and I'm having difficulty telling whether its now my ram that has a problem (I think it is), or if the 440-445 area is the motherboards limit.

I've got watercooling, and temps aren't a problem for me.

what volts are you running on cpu, ram mch etc? when i hit 430 i tried adding an extra .1v to everything but it still wouldnt go past, i know my ram aint a problem cause ive had it running at 1100mhz stable just to see how far it would go. i got a new PSU now and my cooling is better and still cant break 430 so im thinking thats the limit of the board unless theres some other things i can tweak in the bios to squeeze a bit more from it.

I just primed it overnight at 430Mhz. Here are some more details:

- 7x430Mhz, 1.325v
- MCH 1.35v, the other one 1.6v (both plus 0.1v)
- EIST and C1E off
- Corsair XMS 1Gb kit - the regular 6400 one, not C3, C4 or Pro, at 2.1v 5-5-5-15 (note the mobo forgets the 2.1v if you go back into the bios. I needed to raise from 2.0v at 420Mhz)

Load temp is 40-45 deg in uGuru, mid 30s in Core Temp (weird - usually Core Temp is higher) - I've got a Danger Den TDX, 2x120mm radiator and D5 pump.
Other stuff is a 7600GS and an OCZ Powerstream 520W.

I might try for a little higher now (note I've read somewhere - I forget where - that increasing the PCI-E Mhz towards 120 can help sometimes), but as I said in the last post, it was really unstable at 440-445. Then I'll try tighten up the ram.

Note, I've found that on higher ram dividers I can do over 500Mhz on the ram without voltage change, so something is "different" when at 1:1.

Back