• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 865GBF not booting up (solid HDD and Power LEDs) Please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssgohan434

Silicon Valley---> moved to Washington State
Well the old powersupply took a crapshoot in the system (determined because nothing would power on till a different PSU was swapped in). After swapping a different PSU in, the system will power on but no video will come on the screen and no beeps or anything will come from the system. The front panel LEDs for the HDD and Power are in a solid state. So far ive taken out the video card to see if the motherboard will prodouce any beeps indicating an error (and life....), but nothing changed; front panel LEDs were still solid. I've tried moving the RAM a slot over from its orginal position, but nothing changed. The next thing im planning on trying is a different stick of RAM, but i was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions?

BTW the hardware is an Intel 865GBF motherboard with a 2.8 prescott cpu. RAM has Samsung chips but not sure who is the manufacturer. Don't think i missed anything, but let me know.
Thanks!

possible dead cpu on this one but thats hard to say...as if you were haveing trouble with vid or ram the mainboard would beep. my only suggestion atm is to borrow another cpu for the mobo.

ssgohan434 said:
not good, not good at all... don't have s478s laying around. Wouldn't the motherboard beep if it was a dead cpu (just like a video card or someother problem)?
nope, i had a dead cpu do this a while back on a p3 board i was putting back togther. still not sure how i killed the cpu.

anything is possible but i honastly dont know and have never had it happen. what brand/wattage psu?

cheap generic 300 watt psu that was powering a presshot 2.8gHz CPU :rolleyes: . I didn't build this system :bang head . Bought from a shoddy shop. Could the motherboard possibley be dead too? Although the front panel leds light up, so im hoping the motherboard works. When i tried booting with no video card, there were no beeps, but that also could be like you said due to a dead cpu chip.

well the system does not seem to be heavily loaded. well sounds like it possible both cpu and video got killed maybe but the sys wont post even bios info without a working cpu.

before you buy a cpu why not post in the wanted section of the classies to borrow one and you just cover shipping? would also ask for a spare video card as well you just never know.

i guess im a bit lost reading other threads atm but do a bare boot. cpu/vid/ram not hd or anything else, well you need the fan plugged in for the hs so yea..

unplug the power lead to the psu, trip the cmos reset jumper, and remove the cmos battery.

while you're waiting for 2 - 5 minutes, pull the memory and leave it out. put the jumper back, put the battery back in, plug it back up and hit the switch and see if it beeps at you.

If it does, put the memory back in and hopefully that fixes it. If not, or if it didn't beep at you, you likely have a serious fault in either the mobo or the cpu.

update: new RAM did something to improve the situation. After switching out the RAM the computer booted up fine. Upon reboot, the video on the screen died. The monitor's led stays green as if it is receiving a video feed, but nothing appears on the screen.

Is the video on the screen dying as it's booting into windows, or before / during / after entering bios?

If it's windows, try booting into safe mode and completely uninstalling the video drivers, then rebooting to normal mode and installing new drivers / reinstalling what you were using.

If it's earlier than that, like a REAL video failure, then maybe psu problem or some other more sinister problem.

The whole thing sounds hinkey if so. =/ The memory switch allowing it to boot doesn't surprise me, because 865 boards seem to be flaky like that (my abit is), but the video problem... give us more details.

edit - just re-read the original post, forgot you had a power related issue that killed the old psu. Either this new psu is faulty or the power issue killed more than the psu. Try a new video card / onboard if you have it / pci / whatever, if you can.

Back