• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B-Delux SLI x4 please help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A-Rapture

Disabled
I bought me a new P5b-Delux today and when I get home I find out that the Pci-E slots are x16 and the other is x4.
Ok so what the hell is going on here??
Why the hell would asus pull this kinda bull ****??
Will there be some kind of bios to change this to x8/x8 or make them run both at x16?
Or is there some kind of mod I need to do?
Is this some kind of sick joke??
Really is this even a Pci-E slot or just a Pci X4 slot?
I got this board with the hope of upgrading to the quadcore in the spring and use my E6700 for now.
I also got this sucker cause it was said to be the best of the best board out and it was supposed to have x2 Pci-E slots for sli or crossfire.
Well I have a 7950GT and am looking to grab me another one but how the heck am I supposed to do that with a x16 and a x4 slots?
Some one please for the love of god help me out here and tell me what you guys know.
Please!!

the board will run crossfire but not SLI, dont blame ASUS, blame NV, cuz they suck and their drivers need to "see" a NV chipset to work in SLI where as ASUS just enabled crossfire with a bios update. NV=BS

So will there be a hacked bios that will allow Sli to run??

I thought I saw some post were a guy had sli running on this board?

Please tell me Sli will be running on this board or I am going to be ****ed...

yeah hacked drivers maybe it cant be done thru the bios, what people dont understand is sli and x-fire are the same thing, its just for SLI the drivers need to "sense" the other hardware and give it its stamp of approval. LOL nice how NV is trying to control you huh? now your gonna wanna sell the best conroe board there is and go to a NV intel setup that wont overclock for crap. cheers to NV !

The latest beta bios mentioned the 7950x2, the dual gpu, I heard that runs in the board just fine, maybe sell the cards you have and grab one of those ?

God Damn it to hell!!!:mad: Mad Mad Mad.....

Damn it!!

What should I do should I return it and maybe go for this one?

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 it looks like its got x2 x16 Pci-E slots for sli and its

P965 on top of it.

Or should I take a real hit and grab the ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe ??

I am starting to regret going C2D now and giving up my AMD X2.

I never had to put up with this crap with AMD......:bang head

The crap is from nvidia, either buy a intel sli board or buy cards from a manufacturer that wont limit what else you can buy so there cards will work together. I dont undertand the problem really, sell the 7800gt's and buy a 7900gtx or gto, one card and faster than the sli gimmick with 2 lesser cards. PROBLEM SOLVED

Overall you're not going to have much of a hit. I wouldn't worry about it. Personally, I don't think SLI or Crossfire is worth it anyways unless you have a good card now (say a 7800GT) and are able to get a second card down the road for free/cheap.

Ok now that I have had some time to cool off.:(
May be I am asking the wrong questions here.
Perhaps I wont even need sli perhaps because of the high power needed to run a DX10 card maybe I should just keep this mobo.
When the DX10 card comes out should I just get the most powerful one and use that in the x16 Pci-E slot.
Then in the x4 slot add a physx card maybe they will release a stronger version of these in the future with like 256 or 512MB instead of the now current 128MB.
Does this sound like a better Idea?
WHat would you guys do if you were in my situation.
The new specs for my system are.

Mobo:p5B Delux WiFi
CPU: E6700
Ram: G.Skill x2 1GB pc6400 the neon green stuff
GPU: EVGA 7950GT 512MB GDDR3
HDD: x2 160GB WD IDE2Sata 8MB Cach
DVD-Burner: 16x Light-On Allwrite +/- DL W/LightScibe

I would stick with the P5B board and just go with a single video card. SLI just isnt worth it at this point. I just recently went through all this. Well just like you I had bought the P5B first and found out it wasnt SLI capable. I was ****ed and went out and bought the P5N32-SLI. I tried out the P5N32-sli board with 2 7900GTs. This was a crap combination. I couldnt OC over 300mhz FSB and the max I got out of my E6600 was 2.7ghz. So I reverted back to the P5B, traded in my 2 7900s for 1 7950x2. I am able to kick out a 450mhz FSB, 3.4ghz on my E6600 and without OCing my vid card I can do 3Dmark06 scores 300 points higher than the sli set up.

ditto what everybody else said.
when i went to buy this board, and didnt know what SLI even was, they said DONT buy this board to try and do SLI.
so i would take it back if you desparatly want to do SLI. if it dont work out of the box it NEVER WILL, that is just a fantasy we try and justify our misteaks with :)
or
check out them 800$ already tied together overpriced linked vid cards, that dont need 17 slots and a seperate PSU :)
or
Just get 1 Primadonna game card, and be done with the added nightmare of trying to link them TOO , and trying to get everything to work right.

i saw some of the chart stuff on how fast the stuff is, and am not really impressed, you gotta have a FULL 2X more speed to have me want to update anything nowdays. what is 150% faster One resolution up? turn down AA and play away.

Last edited:
Moto7451 said:
Overall you're not going to have much of a hit. I wouldn't worry about it. Personally, I don't think SLI or Crossfire is worth it anyways unless you have a good card now (say a 7800GT) and are able to get a second card down the road for free/cheap.
Well, my buddy just put together a Core2 rig. He choose two X850 cards for crossfire. He paid just over $225 for both cards. His performance so far is:

Core2 E6600 at 3000Mhz (using stock cooling, waiting for aftermarket cooler to arrive)

The X850’s are overclocking to 590/630

3DMark 2005 = 13,501
Aquamark3 = 153,567

Doom 3 timedemo on 1280x1024, 4x AA, 8 AF, Ultra Quality runs over 103fps!

I’d say that was darn good, no?

He’s matching and/or even beating my overclocked X1900XTX.

BTW: The board he’s using is a P5W Deluxe, getting the crossfire to work required no effort, my kids could have done it.

Ok guys thanks you made me feel alot better now but man was I ****ed off lastnight.
Still why would Asus make a board with 1 x16 and 1 x4 Pci-E slots?
Yeah I am not wanting to overclock like mad I am just wanting to get 3.2Ghz out of my E6700 so maybe 10x320fsb should do it?
Is this going to be doable on stock volts and stock cooling or am I going to need to upgrade the cooling?
My new system is in my post up above...

Psycogeec said:
ditto what everybody else said.
when i went to buy this board, and didnt know what SLI even was, they said DONT buy this board to try and do SLI.
so i would take it back if you desparatly want to do SLI. if it dont work out of the box it NEVER WILL, that is just a fantasy we try and justify our misteaks with :)
or
check out them 800$ already tied together overpriced linked vid cards, that dont need 17 slots and a seperate PSU :)
or
Just get 1 Primadonna game card, and be done with the added nightmare of trying to link them TOO , and trying to get everything to work right.

i saw some of the chart stuff on how fast the stuff is, and am not really impressed, you gotta have a FULL 2X more speed to have me want to update anything nowdays. what is 150% faster One resolution up? turn down AA and play away.

Were you drunk when you wrote this?

Back