• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Am I Missing Here? P5B Deluxe Woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jim Morbid

Hello Fellow Clockers

So I have a P5B Deluxe WiFi (706 BIOS), E6600 with a Tt Big Typhoon and a single stick of Kingston Hyper-X DDR2-750. Currently, I've got the chip running at 378*9 (running thr RAM at 756Mhz) or at 425*8 (RAM then at 850Mhz). Now I've done tets with the RAM and, with the CPU multiplier down to 6 I can hit stable operations at 455*6 which lets me run my RAM to its limit, 910Mhz.

My problem comes in when I try and up the multiplier to 8 to get my CPU running better than 2.7Ghz (or 3.1Ghz at a 7 multiplier). I cant get the system to post at 455*8 but when I try and drop the FSB the best I can get is 425*8 :(

Anything higher and it will boot into Windows but will RESTART the PC in the middle of a 3D-Mark test. I dont know what is causing this and I've tried amping the CPU volts (from 1.465V where it is at 425*8) to 1.5V but still the same problem persists.

If someone could please point me in the right direction, the diection that will allow my PC to run closer to its maximum RAM potentional!

Here is a pic of my CPU clocking page:

fsb_tune.jpg

I dont know its maybe my temps? I live in South Africa and its summer (Noooo00 WaterCooling WRU?) so my temps are about 43 Idle, 51 Load, 45 Motherboard. All as ASUS Probe II reports them.

Thanks all!

JM

Your CPU multiplier is locked at 9x and cannot be changed. If you do indeed have a 6600 and your board is reporting 6,7, or 8X multi's then it's not reporting accurate information to you as the CPU is hard coded by Intel for 9X.

TimoneX said:
Your CPU multiplier is locked at 9x and cannot be changed. If you do indeed have a 6600 and your board is reporting 6,7, or 8X multi's then it's not reporting accurate information to you as the CPU is hard coded by Intel for 9X.

I don't believe this to be true. My overall CPU speed changes when I change my multiplier. I can change from 9,8, 7, or 6. I can't go higher than which might be what you're talking about, but it's not completely locked.

The Multiplier is locked for increases (except for the Xtreme E68) but, on ASUS p965 boards at least, you can reduce the multiplier to try and increase the overall FSB

JM

Right. As I said, the multi is locked at 9x and the board is simply reporting innacurate information.

Your multi is not locked on the Conroe chips. You have the capability of using a multiplier between 6-9 and on the 6800 as far as 11.

wtf, in that link it makes me think i should get an e6400 instead of an e6600. I want to get 3.6ghz+ (under highend water). I was planning on getting the p5b deluxe wifi, what do you think?

Disable Speed Spectrum, increase FSb termination to max 1.45v, increase nb voltage to 1.55 and try again.

Thanks for the info Meionm I'll try that out now. What does the FSB termination Voltage do?

And thanks, also per usual, of your input OnDborder! Uber helpful!

JM

TimoneX said:
Right. As I said, the multi is locked at 9x and the board is simply reporting innacurate information.

What are you missing here? It is unlocked for LOWER multipliers.

Well I've been unsuccesful at all the things I've tried that people mentioned here. I'm starting to think that its a heat issue...

Also, I updated to this 0706 BIOS today and I think it might be causing some problems.

Will carry on doing some additional tests (with 614 and 706 BIOS') tomorrow.

JM

Back