• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4S800D-X Boot Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vipersfate

Hey all, the board in the rig in my sig is having an issue.

No matter what, everytiem I restart, shutdown, etc. I have to restart the dang thing like 6 times before it will boot correctly.

The memory has tested fine, and all the other components are exactly the same way before the upgrade. Basically, what happens:

POST happens, no problem.
Then SATA detection, no problem.
Then..nothing.

The screen is blank, and the monitor is still recieving a signal from the video card. It's getting very annoying, and the only thing Asus Support can say is RMA the board. I really, cannot go without a computer for more than a Day.

1. Foldign
2. School
3. Work

Anyone else ever expeience problems with this board, or with a similar situation? Hopefully someone is on that can help. Thanks!

well what usually happens after sata detection?
do all the drives you have get detected?

so you dont get far enough to get into the bios itself right?
and you normal clocked it (at one time or another) to see if that was the issue.

i would guess its a perifereal, then , i would guess its a disk pereferial, then i would guess it was the hitachi, but then again i was never Psysic only psycotic :)

so when it happens, it takes you MANY boots before you can get it working, that gives you many boots to test various things.
the first thing i would try, is to fully disconnect drives, till your down to just the boot drive, of course starting with the Easy ones to get to, and ending with that Impossible one to reach, that is always the real problem :)

ahh, or you could use your ear, get a tube of some sort, and stick your ear on one end, and put it next to each hard drive , and listen , listen for the usual spin up, then listen to the head movement, any of the drives sound like they are having trouble starting up? lots of clunking or clicking?
if it goes tick tick tick, then that might be a clue, unless it always did that. does it squeal like a pig when it starts spinning?

did you add or subtract any drives that started the problem?
hard drive jumpers? you said SATA, so no jumpers there, but you show some PATAs too, so jumpers could be an issue, sometimes Cable select is a bad idea, sometimes its a good idea. sometimes a drive can work with totally incorrect terminations, like Maxtor likes that "master with slave" thing on, but Deathstars didnt like the maxtor but in one configuration.
ahh heck you can check all of that, by temporarily disconnecting the drives from the buss.

By fully disconnecting a few drives you can also kind of check for a power condition, as they will not be spinning up, so the available power will change a bit to the other things.

then to test that Last drive, your system drive, your going to have to CLONE it over to the other side, make sure you can boot over there, then disconnect it. its not as likly to be that, especially if it detects quickly and shows in the sata detection screen, but ya never know.

Last edited:
can you provide more clues?
can you Alt CTL DEL boot it when it is in that state?
when it gets like that do you use the reset button or the power button to bail out?
when it gets like that, is it when it is COLD (morning startup needs choke) or when its hot?

What is your boot order , and WHY?
do you leave the floppy in the boot order? the cd?
do you leave floppies or CD or DVDs in the drives?
Change your boot order to 1 item only, disable everything else
make sure that NETboot is not on at all
make sure that "otherboot" is off.
Just incase it was trying to play with other drives in your system when booting.

Last edited:
I have disconnected all devices that are not necessary. All my harddrives are recognized in the BIOS, and this has happened way before I got the SATA Drive. I've checked the memory, and the PSU is reading about 11.815V on the 12V. NETboot and otherboot is disabled.

Ok after 10 freaking days of frustration, I figured it out. I have to unplug all USB devices, and the system boots perfectly...wonder why..

Back