• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beginner overclocking a D975XBX w/ 6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

svirfnebli

So a little background first... I'm a long time Computer User (18-20 years) and have good comprehension of networking / communications / OS functionality. I've built maybe 30 computers from the ground up (starting with 486's) , and installed and troubleshooted Mac O/S's, IBM OS2 Warp, Windows 3.1, NT 3.51, NT4.0, Win 2k, XP and now vista. So basically, I am not a 12 year old novice..

That being said, I *AM* a complete noob at overclocking and I am finding difficultly finding good resources to learn the tricks of the trade from. I'm trying to build a great overclocked machine for playing BF2 and some video processing work. I've got a good rig for overclocking, and have started the process but I dont know where to go from here.. More below.

Here is my Rig:
Intel D975XBX Rev 305
Intel Conroe 6600 Retail Box.
2 x 1gig of Corsair XMS2 800 MHz / PC2-6400 - CL4 Ram
X1900 Crossfire edition
Corsair Nautilaus Water Cooling CPU system
HP Lightscribe DVD RW.
Creative X-Fi Platinum.

I've soldered over the OC pin on the motherboard so far so that I can access the CPU settings in the bios, and turned on "Enchanced power slope" and installed the Intel desktop control center (IDCC). I've set the timmings for the memmory to 4.4.4.12 at 2.1v as listed on corsairs website as the D975XBX auto settings were 5.5.5.14 and Auto Voltage. I used the IDCC to boost up the FSB by 10% and there was no problem (Which took my memmory from 800 to 880 speed as well as the FSB). I took it to 15% and it worked, but when I went to 20%, my computer reset and beeped three times :confused: I did not alter any other settings or voltages yet as I dont know what I am doing. I dont think the motherboard could handle 900+mhz for ram.

I'm definetly not doing something right, and I think that there is something about the memmory that I have not configured.

So without further ado, here are my questions:

1) Do I have to turn the memmory frequency WAY down? Say from 800 to 400? CPUZ shows my memmory ratio at 5:4 and I don't know if I can/should alter this? Can you alter the FSB:RAM ratio? and if so how?

2) What is this "1333 Strap" I keep reading about? Is it just the selection of 1333 FSB in the bios? If so, is it safe to just select it? If I select it do I have to change anything else? What is the benefit of using this?

3) In the Intel Desktop Control center, under the TUNE tab, it shows a few options including CPU Multiplier, and VCORE Voltage - It currently shows 14x multiplier and 1.4 Vcore - and a button that says "Save and Reset" but when I load CPUZ it shows my multiplier to be 9x.. What is the correct multiplier of this CPU, can it be altered, and should it be?

Thank you for ANY and all help..

Svirf

PS: Please excuse my spelling/grammar - I'm just not great at spelling.

Well, I can help you get started...

First, set the memory ratio to 1:1 which would be 533 setting (all settings I'm talking about are in the BIOS, I don't really like O/Cing in Windows)...the 1:1 mem setting will keep you from hitting your top memory speed before you reach your top CPU front side bus speed...

Next, use the 1066 strap...with this strap, you will be able to reach 400 fsb (front side bus) with the +50% burn in mode... I would bump up your fsb and MCH voltages to max the BIOS will let you...(you might want to put a small fan on the big aluminum heatsink on the Northbridge chip since your watercooling, there is no airflow over it)...

Then start bumping up the burn in mode % by 5 at a time and see if its stable...use 2 instances of Prime95 and let it run for a few hours...overnight if you can...

The 1333 strap is not perfected yet...each BIOS release has made it better, but the memory dividers still aren't right, and there are other small issues as well...using the 1066 strap, and 533 memory setting will allow you to run up to 400fsb and ddr800...

Don't be afraid to put a bit of extra voltage to the CPU as well...don't go crazy, but 1.4v is safe, and since your watercooling, maybe 1.45 if you need it...just keep an eye on the CPU temps under full load...

Your CPU's max multiplier is 9, but should go down to 6, I'm not sure if you can change it with this motherboard...I have ES CPU's, so I can change them all day, but I'm not sure about retail ones... but if you get 400 fsb, you will have 3.6gig speed 9x400=3600...I don't think you'll get it that high, but you never know, you might have that golden CPU...

If your feeling brave, you can build an overclocking recover cable like I did...

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=464025&highlight=d975xbx

So you don't have to keep moving the recover jumper when you push it too far and the machine won't boot...

Good luck!!!

Thank you VERY much for the reply - I'll do testing and post back with the results!

PS: That cable you made is AWSOME. I am sooo going to make one of those.

Glad I could help...the board will do 400fsb no problem, but your CPU might not...if you can drop the multiplier down, I don't see why you should be able to do 8x400 for 3.2 like me...

Back