• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

way to get all updates since sp2 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkgonra

I am getting ready to do some work on 5 systems that have not been updated since XP sp1. They have not been connected to the interent and now the company wants to have them all up and running online. I have the full download of sp2 and will isntall that on each of them as well as a current virus/spyware protection before they get connected. Is there a good way to get all the other xp updates downloaded so that I can burn them to a cd and have them installed before I hook the machines up ?

When you say slipstream do you mean as into the clean install of XP ?
I am not installing XP on these systems , just updating them.

hkgonra said:
When you say slipstream do you mean as into the clean install of XP ?
I am not installing XP on these systems , just updating them.

Ahh my bad, yes I did mean a clean install...should have realized you stated you needed updates not installs or reinstalls.

nlite is an option for slipsteaming but you have to d/l every one of the updates manually. takes a while.

SP2 from CD, update AV, enable FW, WU. The updates past SP2 (about 45 I'd say) won't hurt you if the firewall is active and you go to Windows Update first thing.

El<(')>Maxi said:
SP2 from CD, update AV, enable FW, WU. The updates past SP2 (about 45 I'd say) won't hurt you if the firewall is active and you go to Windows Update first thing.

That was , and still is I guess my orginal plan. I just didn't know if there was an easier way.

You could go to MS Download and get the all of them individually but if you ask me that would be more work in. The way MS does/recommends it in a bigger environment is with WSUS server. It DL's a single copy of each update and then talks to all the boxes in the network and distributes the patches. With 5 PC's it didn't sound like the way to go in your situation. If you bring them up and set for automatic updates right when you leave they will all be ready the next morning.

Back